No license requirement for a classic car?

OBY

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in new zealand it always needs to be licenced/rego paid to be on the road

at 40 years it becomes "classic". this means a slight change to "continuous licencing" in that it takes a little longer for it to be come deregistered if you forget to put it on hold

• Like 5

Classic is after 40yrs of age. It is not that it doesnt require rego, it is that it is non concurrent. Meaning you can just rego for x months at a time and you dont have to back pay in between for the months not licenced.
Also you get 2 yrs before deregisters not 12months like normal.

• Like 3

Nice to know you have two years begore it gets deregistered. I have three cars on hold and two have gone past the on-hold date. I used to always get a reminder of when I needed to update the cars, but it seems they have stopped that now.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Tiger Tamer said:

Nice to know you have two years begore it gets deregistered. I have three cars on hold and two have gone past the on-hold date. I used to always get a reminder of when I needed to update the cars, but it seems they have stopped that now.

I just got one today, depends if you have given your email address when you do the renewal I suppose

image.png.2697ba2ee19c48ac30ddd0b27eec281d.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nominal said:

I just got one today, depends if you have given your email address when you do the renewal I suppose

image.png.2697ba2ee19c48ac30ddd0b27eec281d.png

I always did get a reminder but hadn't had any for a while. I tried to check on what the cars statis was. You have to fill in the online form, but it rejects my driver's license number which has always been ok before. I have contacted them about it, but they failed to give me a reason why. I have asked again.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Tiger Tamer said:

I always did get a reminder but hadn't had any for a while. I tried to check on what the cars statis was. You have to fill in the online form, but it rejects my driver's license number which has always been ok before. I have contacted them about it, but they failed to give me a reason why. I have asked again.

If you go to this page you can check any plate without drivers license etc

Check expiry query (nzta.govt.nz)

e.g. for that Trike

image.png.e72135ab4511eef8dccefe7a71d994b7.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nominal said:

Yeah, I don't have expectation of it getting better

1 year wofs on a classic car are a bad idea imo.

If your getting upset over a 60$ wof then don't own a classic car.

And if the upset is from needing repairs every 6 months then it shows the car actually needs work and isn't safe for 1 year so the 6 month is kinda doing its job 

But if jt passes who cares its probably the cheapest part of owning a classic car

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JustHarry said:

1 year wofs on a classic car are a bad idea imo.

If your getting upset over a 60$ wof then don't own a classic car.

And if the upset is from needing repairs every 6 months then it shows the car actually needs work and isn't safe for 1 year so the 6 month is kinda doing its job 

But if jt passes who cares its probably the cheapest part of owning a classic car

It's the hassle factor more than anything.

What makes a 2000 car safer over a year than a 1999?

Nothing, that's what.

It's a stupid rule, but I don't expect a change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3