Jason’s Bush Block and Self Sustainability Ramblings - Non-retaining retaining wall

j.e.d.

45 minutes ago, Adoom said:

BEST!

GATEPOSTS!

EVER!
I'd love to make giant gateposts like that on my residential section.

Thanks man.. yea I had this idea a few years ago at my last place when we had a few sitting out the back of our yard at work, but they were only 1.5m out of the ground when I did those.

I'm always looking at random shit and trying to work out what I can use it for, so I'm happy I came across some more for sale so I could do it again only betterer..  they create a bit of a statement when you drive up to the gate that's for sure.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be tempted to gently feed it a bit of compressed air on a warm day to pop it back to round. Might take a while but if you can seal it  it'd probably only need a couple of psi.

If the water doesn't want to pop it out it might fold the crease and make it worse.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, sheepers said:

i make tanks like that for a living.

chuck some water in it and it'll probably pop back into shape, however that crease along the bottom edge where the base meats the side is probably structurally compromised so if i were you id point that side of the tank away from anything you dont want hit by an extremely angry wall of very heavy water. 

Cheers man.. for sure, will make sure that side faces somewhere safe.. I guess there is no easy way to shore that lower edge up or prevent that from being a possibility? I'm thinking maybe digging the tank into the ground by a foot or so may help?

4 hours ago, mjrstar said:

I'd be tempted to gently feed it a bit of compressed air on a warm day to pop it back to round. Might take a while but if you can seal it  it'd probably only need a couple of psi.

If the water doesn't want to pop it out it might fold the crease and make it worse.

Not going to be connected til later in the year, so a warm day is more likely to be on the cards then.. cheers

Yea so two things you'll need to know if you're going to put air pressure into it. 

2 psi will be enough to turn that tank into a sphere.

regulators and pressure relief valves that are accurate at that low of a pressure will cost more than you payed for the tank. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sheepers said:

Yea so two things you'll need to know if you're going to put air pressure into it. 

2 psi will be enough to turn that tank into a sphere.

regulators and pressure relief valves that are accurate at that low of a pressure will cost more than you payed for the tank. 

thanks again man.. yea I'm not that keen/confident to go blowing air into the tank.. I think I'll let water do the job