Obscuring visibility out of windscreen, what are the WOF requirements.

flyingbrick

have just had new vehicle tracking installed on our vehicles. They have demanded that unit (which is like an old GPS style device) is mounted in the middle of the vehicle where it blocks visibility- there is a perfect spot for it on the RHS where this is completely alleviated. 

Management has said that its not been a WOF issue in the past and the centre location is fine- I have argued that it may be fine, but it could also be better- I have told the installer to move it and I'll cop any flak that comes my way - just stupid people making stupid decisions.

So, I know you can get a ticket for having dangly shit hanging off your rear vision mirror- but could there possibly be wof concerns with having it in the middle as they want? I'm willing to go to war over this, cant stand rules that aren't logical.

(the second image is what i want. The first image is what we are being told is our managements standard that must be adhered to)

image.png.3495536865592bb84cc38777766f664d.png

image.png.4a02f748744d780d74536458bed8ebf9.png

• Like 1

“6. A windscreen and front side windows must be clean and free of obstruction to ensure the driver has sufficient vision through the glazing to operate the vehicle safely.“

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vision/glazing#tab3

it’s probably OK for a WOF, as it is outside the “Critical Vision Area”. End of the day it’s up to you as the driver. In saying that. If there was a sticker on the windscreen where that screen is it would fail.

IMG_8406.thumb.png.2b1152d87aed9bc1d871264036fd8325.png

I fail WOFs weekly where muppets have a phone holder stuck to the windscreen in front of their face. Have a look at the screens in front of taxi drivers and they pass COF.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Purely for a looks point of view, second is less in your face / better vision. I'd just wonder where the device goes in image two if the pillar bag goes off. Unless it's some povo vehicle without them / probably standard now. Not sure i'd go to war over it, neither really obstruct the view. If they do might just need a booster cushion :P Used to have my GPS unit / dashcam on middle line of screen similar to first image. Seating position was quite high though so never obstructed my view. That being said, I would have to remove them for WOF. But the dashcam saved me a few times so a hassle worth doing.

• Like 1

Frankly, the wif's late Rav4 has a f'n great screen for all the GPS and other shit sitting slightly higher than your example - and it's OE.

Have to have the seat jacked up as high as it goes to see adequately.

• Like 1

that second photo has the unit is placed such that if you look thru that part of the glass, the vision is already obstructed with the bonnet, the right guard and the A pillar.

but then i had a wof guy telling me A pillar gauges are interior impact fair as well.

a bit off topic but i keep getting these wof guys telling me the sticker needs to be upper right of the screen (unless there is no screen or whatever), whereas i like it lower right, where it doesn't get in the way of my vision (especially at the lights)

these days i dont bother arguing and just reposition when i get home.

• Like 1

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/introduction/inspection-and-certification-process/issuing-the-wof-or-cof-label-evidence-of-vehicle-inspection

Read far enough down the list of bullshit.....

Screenshot_20230522-123209_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d40a7830f5846a9ff3f4f15260cbc9b5.jpg

Nothing about upper or lower. Lower is just normally more of a prick to remove for the inspector.

• Like 1