Toyota Fielder of dreams

HumberSS

So I just got an 01 Fielder as a daily, it's got the mighty 1zz-fe and manual box. It's at a spritely 282k, but I have noticed it's a bit jerky under hard acceleration and tbh I would have thought it would return better than 8l/100km. Thinking I will do plugs and air filter, but wondering if anyone has any insight into these and what might be causing the jerky? Maybe MAF, or coils??

Chur.

According to the tube intake leaks at the manifold to head gasket and the manifold to throttle body gasket are common. Gaskets cheap on rockauto and the job is dead easy.

Didn't fix the hesitation in my one though...

• Like 1

Not sure what the air box on 1zz is like but on my 2zz I removed the long skinny restrictive snorkel thing which improved driveability and economy I think, with the snorkel on it wants to jerkily engine brake severely when off throttle, without is much smoother and glides way longer at zero throttle (saving gas, 6.7L/100km)

• Like 2

Just plugs. Look at the previous owner(s) and ask yourself if they'd willingly spend $100 to improve the efficiency and drivability of their car. If the answers no; then the plugs haven't been done for at least 200,000kms. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Cool. How do.you fix it eating oil then?... Think I got tucked.

39 minutes ago, ThePog said:

Ha thats basically us, that wish has done 260k and was a bit missy and burned a bit of oil, new plugs and all of that has cleared up.

1 hour ago, HumberSS said:

Dunno, changed the plugs and it stopped using oil. Either typical toyota self healing behavior or our lord and saviour hast bestowed a miracle upon his unworthy servant or some shit.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ThePog said:

Dunno, changed the plugs and it stopped using oil. Either typical toyota self healing behavior or our lord and saviour hast bestowed a miracle upon his unworthy servant or some shit.

I read somewhere they gum up the rings and start chewing oil. Gonna try some of the snake oil from repco and see if it fixes it.

2 hours ago, ThePog said:

so if the lad fits new sparkbungs to his LN130 manual Surf/4Runner, will is fix the excess smoke and give him more than 15WHP ??

20 minutes ago, smokin'joe said:

so if the lad fits new sparkbungs to his LN130 manual Surf/4Runner, will is fix the excess smoke and give him more than 15WHP ??

Try the limibashing first, might not need to change the plugs if it goes well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokin'joe said:

Need to pull the little hose off the front of the turbo for those.

6 hours ago, HumberSS said:

Another vote for plugs followed by a good Italian tune up.

Maybe an oil change to some decent synthetic

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThePog said:

Half an hour of limibashing will have the same effect

Have done 3 weeks of that.. at least when it's on the limiter you can't hear the weird no oil noises.

Just got new plugs, synthetic oil and air and oil filters. Here's hoping.h

Fuck me half good oil has gotten expensive!!