McKenzie Moped Melee - March 2024

RUNAMUCK

Accommodation 

Unfortunately there's not really big motels/cabins in this part of the world. I tried to stop in places that have at least something, and is still on route.

Night 1. There is only a couple places to stay in st Bathans so you all better get in sooner rather than later for beds. I think it may even be that you might have to book the whole place then divide it up between yourselves. If you have to stay at somewhere like Omakau then we can meet up en-route to Thompson gorge. I'll be camping at the st Bathans domain campsite. 

Night 2. Waikaia there is a hotel/motel, and a holiday park. I'll be camping at Piano Flat campsite which is about 20 mins up the road which we will be heading up the next day. 

Night 3. Ranfurly has a holiday park motel/cabins, motel and hotel. I'll be at either the holiday park, or Waipiata domain which is about 15 minutes away. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fizzing about this ride, but I learnt my lesson with too much weight over the rear on the Porika Track so may buy a tank bag for this trip and use that + small backpack 

My RGV got dusted off yesterday and I took it for a ride to make sure it was running ok, I still need to do the fork seals that blew after the Porika Pounding and maybe use a heavier oil. 

Oh and gear the sucker down so 1st allows me to go slower in the muck and hills and I don't care if I lose 30-40km/h in top as the bigger tires already slow by 20-30 anyway.

So what is everyone's sleeping options, I was thinking either pair with someone in a room or just outside tent? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Righto!

I'm registered.
There is limited proper acomadation in some stops this year. (There's a festival of some kind in Waikaia on saturday, so I'm staying At the riversdale hotel instead.  (Could be improved food options at waikaia with food trucks for the festival? ) riversdale is  18 minutes from Waikaia Tenting is always an option for the hardy souls. 
Please get registered asap so we have an idea how many riders we're catering for. 
This is a massive undertaking. And to quote @TimShadboltfan27, I am absolutely pissing cheese for this ride! 

• Like 5

Sweet, all signed up! 
Im going to camp the first 2 nights,  incase anyone else is thinking of doing the same.

You’ll all be pleased to hear (pun intended) that I’m leaving the super roudy old CT at home this time, and bringing the new CT125 instead.

Full bung fizz for this!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1