Car license and vehicle weights q

ThePog

On 29/01/2023 at 22:00, ThePog said:

It will be not be a motorhome, the cabin will just be a load 

If its not registered as a motor home you'll have to apply for a tsl, sit a test and pay some monies and show that when you take it for a cof.

Its a ballache, messy and I've been looking for a way around it (as have many many others Inc horse truck drivers etc) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

If its not registered as a motor home you'll have to apply for a tsl, sit a test and pay some monies and show that when you take it for a cof.

Its a ballache, messy and I've been looking for a way around it (as have many many others Inc horse truck drivers etc) 

Its probably time to increase my manlyness quotient and get an HT license anyway.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

once upon a time, trucks/buses/motorhomes could be 'down-rated' to meet the 6T threshold, but i believe this has been removed about same time they removed 'supplementary RUCs, for vehicles operating well under the GLW/GCW

• Like 1

On 06/02/2023 at 08:35, ThePog said:

Its probably time to increase my manlyness quotient and get an HT license anyway.

I think what @yoeddynz is implying is you will effectively need to get your cartage license (tsl) if you don't register it as a motorhome. As it will then effectively be deemed a cartage truck, and you (or Celine need to be) a cartage operator. The tsl is with you, human, rather than with truck, but necessary for cof (this ballache I dealt with running dad's cartage business after he died, we ran under his mates tsl). It's a good heads up, you might snooker yourself. I'd dig into that a bit further...

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, HumberSS said:

I think what @yoeddynz is implying is you will effectively need to get your cartage license (tsl) if you don't register it as a motorhome. As it will then effectively be deemed a cartage truck, and you (or Celine need to be) a cartage operator. The tsl is with you, human, rather than with truck, but necessary for cof (this ballache I dealt with running dad's cartage business after he died, we ran under his mates tsl). It's a good heads up, you might snooker yourself. I'd dig into that a bit further...

Ah. That is interesting. I shall speak to her largeness.

• Like 1

I never ran a tsl on my truck carting my Stockcar.

the system is a joke and needs fixing.

imho a tsl should only be required by those who offer transport for hire or reward. Ie paid cartage of goods or passengers.

I once bought a 510 trader off temuka transport to carry my first Stockcar, he told me to leave his tsl on it and run it as is. What a gc.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, shizzl said:

I never ran a tsl on my truck carting my Stockcar.

the system is a joke and needs fixing.

imho a tsl should only be required by those who offer transport for hire or reward. Ie paid cartage of goods or passengers.

I once bought a 510 trader off temuka transport to carry my first Stockcar, he told me to leave his tsl on it and run it as is. What a gc.

what was GLW of Trader ?
there is said to be a raft of new rules coming in soon regarding TSL/PSL etc that could undo a heap of small operators

• Sad 1

Class EB would throw a spanner in the mindset of the charming ignorant fool at Whaka Kartire.
as far as i have been told, there are new requirements coming, to close some of the existing loopholes regarding TSLs/logbooks etc............ they created a can of worms when they down-rated vehicles , and allowed heavier weights for Class 1 drivers

33 minutes ago, dmulally said:

Do you need a TSL even if lugging around your own crap

Yep. I had a long chat with a helpful fella at nzta about this and tried all sorts of avenues to try and avoid having to get a tsl for the Bedford , including the fact its historic and could I just use it for classic car shows etc. There just doesn't seem to be a way around short of changing the rego to Mobile home - and you can't just do that because it has to be inspected/have a sink/beds/seat belts etc etc.

But as Shizzle has stated- its still a bit of a grey area and you could sneak through at certain places for a cof. But I know my local testing stations wont let me go for a cof with the Bedford without showing a valid TSL.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cubastreet said:

If you can find me a new donk for my elf for a reasonable price, you can come grab it when you need it @dmulally

Cops around here don't seem to care about that licenses and rego etc, never know when that will change though.

I have a 4BE1 and MXA 5 speed in the shed as it happens.