DABUZZ'Z 1971 MAZDA CAPELLA RE + New 74 RX4

dabuzz

I think it's the curse of buying a modified car. Even if it all appears ridgy didgy there will be some shit wrong.

I didn't have so many issues, but fan wired backwards and headlights wired wrongly (no proper working high beams) on a legal car.

• Like 2

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed totally expect some work when buying an old car,but yeah......

took it out for a run today to test a bunch of things, and it's driving really nice now, suspension is doing everything it should, no noises at all, got up to temp, ran really well, felt pretty good all round 

There's still a few things to do, as listed and it's not starting well ( bad starter/voltage drops maybe), I think that's down to wiring issues which I've already planned to look at. And I'm going to change the fuel system a little.

Overall, I'm starting to like the car, and it does look pretty sweet on road

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I guess you have to take into account when the car was built? What was cool and acceptable back then is different to what we expect now? 
im sure people will look at my FC in 20 years time and go “what was he thinking?”
I’m just stoked you are working through everything to make it cool and safe again. I love 4 coupes!
(Technically I love all old Mazdas so I’m easily pleased…)

• Like 2

Oh man, cut so much shit, remember everything worked, so it's just a tidy, but have also added feeds and relays ready for ECU etc in prep for possible future plans .

Maybe I should leave that earth just do the car remembers it roots.....

Nope ha

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Man I hate bending up lines. 

Although, I think I dread the thought of it more than actually doing it. 

Good to get that off the list! 

Are you going to run an NA setup to start, with EFI setup? 
Will be interesting to see how different it'll drive and powerband etc.

It would be interesting, but I don't have a throttle body/manifold setup to use. and because of our LVVTA/WOF system it wouldn't make sense to inject for a period of time

then fit the blower as I wouldn't be able to keep a WOF on it. 

However, as I have previously prewired the car for ECU, I'm possibly going to set up the Microtech LT16 that I have in 'Ignition only' mode once I buy some smart coils etc and switch over to CAS 

That way I can  have better control over the timing rather than a locked at 20deg distributor.

That wont require a cert, and gives me time to save for, collect and modify the rest of the parts I need to fully convert over.

Biggest debate atm is which way I'm going to go with the engine block, before I remake the manifolds, as there is a few different engine intake shapes and bolt spacings to allow for.  

• Like 2

Oh wow, I never knew Tony used the setup after you sold the RX4. 

Must have been making some awesome power to run that fast! 

What happened to the motor, was it load on the front of the crank made things break or something? 

@Roman yes. too much load with no crank support, that, and the two-step just killed it.

interesting, the pulley he used would only produce around  14psi on the street with pump fuel, but with a few more "race" rpm and methanol it saw 21psi out of it, massive for a rootes blower

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dabuzz said:

interesting, the pulley he used would only produce around  14psi on the street with pump fuel, but with a few more "race" rpm and methanol it saw 21psi out of it, massive for a rootes blower

True, interesting.

This will probably be because theres the same amount of air as before but more of the space being taken up by methanol. So boost goes up. As you run it at a 4:1 ratio or whatever.

(petrol 14.7:1 stoich, meth 6:1)

Maybe also some of the cooling effect of methanol if it was injected before the charger. As roots blower runs crazy hot.

Either way, cant wait to see how this goes with a modern efi setup this time! 

• Thanks 1