Japawagons Alfa Romeo 156 - Money Pit

japawagons

Anywho, she arrived with me on Thursday evening, thanks to 10-5, Archetype and my partner's Best Friend & her Husband.

20200308_151451.jpg.923e1e68d8302ab6e6b645a09e61e3f6.jpg

Finally living back in the same place as I am. Beefed up the shed security, still need to do a bit more, I'm hyper paranoid but honestly I really don't live in the best neighbourhood.

20200308_150842.jpg.9a30d48266e0a1127aec111e3be1c38d.jpg

A very long To Do List.

The No.1 Goal really is to make her road legal again, just to make life easy. The big barriers at the moment are LVV Cert Update, Lock Diff replaced with LSD or Open Diff (Fuck this idea), New Harnesses, Speedo, Hydraulic Handbrake (Has None atm) and MSNZ AUthority Card.

But 1st an easy job, repair the Intake Air Temp Sensor wiring, torn out by the ham fisted wanker who came to look at the car when it was for sale. (I'll save you from anymore of that rant).

Luckily I carry these terminals and plugs around in the ute for my new Field Service job, handy.

20200308_150857.jpg.61bf44569bcd5e12581c1ff36e101e73.jpg

• Like 9

Man I love this car. 

I'm not heart broken that you couldnt sell it to be honest. 
Glad you managed to get it down there with you. 
Hope things going well.
Look forward to seeing what new iterations develop. 

Expecting graphs of new cold tune start efficiency :grin:

5 hours ago, Yowzer said:

It's still lacking a spoiler

You'll be happy to know it's on my To Do List. 

The bad news is it's till in 10-5's garage, totally forgot to get it put in the car.

I've also never seen Forrest Gump, so that may very well have been a spoiler.

4 hours ago, Roman said:

Man I love this car. 

I'm not heart broken that you couldnt sell it to be honest. 
Glad you managed to get it down there with you. 
Hope things going well.
Look forward to seeing what new iterations develop. 

Expecting graphs of new cold tune start efficiency :grin:

To be honest, selling it would've made life easier, especially considering I know live as far away as you can get from a racetrack.

But I'm glad I didn't manage to sell it, I think seeing this car go would've been harder than selling my little 105.

I've already checked MS Paint is calibrated and ready for copious amounts of graph drawing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looks like my old 156 v6/6spd was dereg a couple of years ago. Guess it finally gave into the horrific rust problem it had. 

I'd still love a GTA, but hard to find them at a good price now. 

2 hours ago, kws said:

Looks like my old 156 v6/6spd was dereg a couple of years ago. Guess it finally gave into the horrific rust problem it had. 

I'd still love a GTA, but hard to find them at a good price now. 

Rust problem? That in NZ? They're electro galv bodies, the only rust I've ever seen is in cars that have clearly had big prangs at some point in there lives.

Hey @japawagons,

Do you have much of a yarn to share about what you've done with the car so far in terms of developing it for track purposes?
Like, there were a few times when the stars aligned and we both had cars at the same event. 
It was cool seeing this progress and make some decent lap time improvements. 
Remember you saying that locking the front diff made a crazy big difference, in a good way.

Is there anything that sticks out in your mind as having been a really big "wow" moment for a difference in how it's gone so far? (Or expected wow, but, no wow)

Also, apart from there being no local tracks is there a local motorsports club that does hillclimbs or anything like that?

Yeah that was awesome. I'll be doing a pedal box setup on my imp site to the massive weight difference front to rear. Way too easy to lock the front currently. Which also means I'm missing out on better braking to be had from the rear which has so much weight on it.  Reading what you've posted has got me all fizzing about the fun aspect of setting it up. 

Cheers for the rant. 

Please rant some more. 

Oh and it's been noted that you've still not told us about the hamfisted tyre kicker. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, whilst half of the country is on forced project progress leave, I've been classified essential. My partner too is essential and so I have volunteered to take on our 12 Hour Night shifts over the grape harvest, that way someone is at home with the youngling during the day (albeit sleeping). 

Anyway updates will remain few and far between and generally completed at unspeakable hours of the morning.

Today I ran over the Wheel Stud situation, and I've just completed my order for some of these bad boys.

stud_14x125_90mm__20157_99aec08b-3df8-4a3d-b7b9-11dfceb55020_240x.jpg.0cd1541ec23fde2bcd729501a91bfe41.jpg

Originally this lovely European machine was fitted with wheel bolts, which although does reduce unsprung weight at the wheel, is just completely impractical when wheels come on and off as often as they do on a "race" car.  The ones currently fitted don't have a shoulder between the two threads to tighten up on.

They have been a royal pain in the ass ever since I fitted them. Supply for decent wheel stud / extensions is dismal in NZ. So I desperately tried to make what I could find work, tack welding them at the back of the hub to attempt to secure them. The thread quality of those and the wheel nuts I used also leaves much to be desired, so I'm hitting the reset and hopefully the replacements will be a permanent solution.

No idea when these will arrive in NZ, could be a week, could be 3 months, fuck, could be 12 months in our current predicament. 

20200331_153939.jpg.99239f02d87b9ed43a19450a4c771a40.jpg

Finished removing the sound deadening in the boot area. I also wondered why I didn't finish this. Shortly after starting with my painfully monotonous manual removal method, I understood why. Next time Dry Ice.

Anyway the car has finally had all it's sound deadening removed after nearly 7 years.

20200331_155944.jpg.336e2960245509b96cba3429b492daf2.jpg 

Bam. Door Off. (The quick release hinges on modern cars are fucking sweet, 2x 6mm bolts and the door just slides up on off)

The 2 Rear Doors have perviously had the lightweight treatment, and are really fucking light, they even have Lexan Windows, which were cut down out of a rolled Fiat Uno Club Car. My goal is two Lexan the 2x Front Windows and Fit a Slide Window on the Driver's Side. But current estimates are about $900 for a sheet of Lexan. So that may not happen for while. Just wanted to put in on the Authority Card really.

Anyway the wiring has been disconnected for quite sometime so I started the Nip, Tuck and Liposuction, to remove all the redundant internals and extra weight.

• Like 4

20200331_155941.jpg.5c87d71831acf9ac9195e45ed25e95ba.jpg

Door Trim Off.

20200331_161700.jpg.29251299a46bd201d1af65dc91b69e4d.jpg

Used Jumper Pack to wind window down to enable removal. Fuck these are handy.

20200331_165840.jpg.ef1c6506f71a5d5baeb729854af356cd.jpg

Bam and the Steel is gone.

20200331_165837.jpg.b917d1621f4e693d7ea1178b0b3c93ef.jpg

If in Doubt, Chop it Out.

20200331_172740.jpg.841d15ac35694603284b6eb257ede4d8.jpg

Well on the way, still go a bit to tidy up before starting on the other side. Will weigh it tomorrow and see how much came out. Enough to justify a beer anywyay.

20200331_165852.jpg.d5e1525cb7aa6a2bf51c6bb976d72ea6.jpg

Used one of these Emery Tape Flapper Wheel Disc things for the 1st time on this door. (On Panel steel at least). Fuck they're awesome, they remove a surprisingly large amount of material and are really good for creating round radius edges, also great for trimming the burrs from the cutting discs. A+. Would trade Again. 

• Like 7