Vintage Grumble

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I was getting a weird fault with the re-flashed ECU. I'd start it up, and then it would go straight into a transmission fault, and wouldn't select forward or reverse. Thought the ECU was bung, so had a bit of back n forth with the seller, and ended up calling the tuner (Carl Ruiterman) and he had a LOL and knew what was wrong straight away. Their early re-flashes had a weird quirk where you have to give the engine a tiny blip on the throttle at start up, to keep the transmission ECU happy (it doesn't like the little start up rev flare with no wheel speed or throttle input) so with that sorted we put the wide band on it, and it's turbo rich. The unit it came from had a race intake and exhaust, and obviously flowed better, so more gas. We put the std ECU back in, and it's spot on, so that's what I'll run for now, but good to know the std injectors and pump can flow way more.

After the last ride being cancelled due to rain, today was my first official blast. The track was very, very muddy, which added greatly to the excitement/terror. After shitting my dacks near constantly on the first run, I headed out on a second run, but half way around the 17km track I noticed the over heat light was on. I knew it was a blocked radiator, as I had read that's an issue in very muddy conditions, so I had a couple of cool down stops and limped home. Luckily the fucking baller chap next to me in the pits, had a water blaster and huge ass water tank built into his trailer (wot!?!?) and blasted the radiator clean for me. But sadly half way around the next lap it started over heating again, so I called it a day. These pics don't do the lever of filth justice, it was insane how much mud was in/on it.

26EXJo1.jpeg

0duQfZM.jpg

You can see why the radiator blocking is an issue, not a great place for it,

ifPTzhH.jpg

So because of this issue, from 2019 onwards they have the radiators in the back, so I'm about to start the process of relocating the radiator. I didn't really want to do this, but I can see it being a pain in the ass/fun ruiner, so I may as well do it now.

Regards, VG.

• Like 5

In my short stint at Bayride, we had 2 of these come in quite cooked. Both had been due to an air intake full of dirt/mud as well as the radiator. I remember designs were changed at some point as ya mention and things got better. But always worth checking that after every ride if you can/if it's the model thats susceptible to that.

1 hour ago, Mop Head said:

In my short stint at Bayride, we had 2 of these come in quite cooked. Both had been due to an air intake full of dirt/mud as well as the radiator. I remember designs were changed at some point as ya mention and things got better. But always worth checking that after every ride if you can/if it's the model thats susceptible to that.

Oh true, I've not heard of the intake problem. The air intake is between the seats, at about boob height, so in a good place to avoid mud, but I think people not checking/cleaning the pre-filter is a thing, cam imagine they block up fairly easily.

And while I'm here, this is the 2019 radiator set up (there is a plastic cover over the top to box it in)

YAMAHA5_AS3I0481.jpg

And this is one example of a relocation kit. I want to do something similar but with closed in sides and more of an intake to push air through, more like the OEM set up above,

AKIMERJX37A7LODFOSB7QBL4L4.jpg

Regards, VG.

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

So work is slow, and I haven't bored the tits off you in a while, so rubbish update time. I think I've done three day long outings in the YXZ with no real issues, which sort of amazes me, because fuck it gets a hell of a hard time. At one track the rear sway bar nuts kept coming loose, so I removed the flat washers under the nuts, and that somehow seemed to solve that issue. Also the hinge bolts on the drivers door came loose, so did those up. The only maintenance I've had to do is change a CV boot and a ball joint boot that were ripped. The ball joint boot was nearly as expensive as a whole ball joint, so I go t a whole unit. I'll get an aftermarket boot at some point so I have a spare ball joint.  

lKK2qih.jpg 

I also got around to fitting the harnesses (a guy died at one of the rides I was at, so sort of prompted some action). It wasn't too big of a job, just had to remove a few captive nuts so the mountey bit would fit where it needed to go (on the nut side of the mount). These certainly hold you in a LOT better, and have nearly eradicated me having badly bruised shoulder after a hoon.

xlszOcI.jpg

kfuPdJa.jpg 

RLuftfu.jpg

I've also got stuck into trying to finish my trailer. I have finally got the mesh all welded down, which was a cunt of a job. I ground off the galv as best I could on all the welding surfaces (its second hand galv walkway mesh), but it was still a splatter party quite often. Glad I never bothered painting my shed floor, because it would be fucked now.

x7HvTcG.jpg

So I built this trailer pretty light, as the original off-roader was probably sub 500kg, but the SXS is 700kg, so I was a bit worried it may not be strong/heavy enough. I bolted it together and put the SXS on it, and using a string line, I checked if it was bending under the weight. It didn't seem to be bending/deflecting under the weight, but I'm still thinking about beefing it up a tad just to be sure. The next problem, was I set up the axle position for the old unit, so I wasn't sure if there was enough tongue weight with the SXS full forward. I didn't have a scale, so decided to grease up the bearings and do up all the nuts & bolts and take it for a spin to see how it towed. No WOF, no REG, No lights, no plate, no worries. I then proceeded to tow it past two highway cops, twice each, but neither noticed/cared. It also towed beautifully, which was both a surprise and a relief. Its also way lighter to tow than the tandem car trailer I normally use, so that's nice. I was a bit worried about the lack of brakes, but it seems to be fine.

PaXYcip.jpg

GNSyew4.jpg

I have decided I will galvanize it (I originally intended to paint it, hence all the open ends being sealed off) so I need to drill lots of holes, and try think of all the things it may need before I send it away to get stripped N dipped.  

It will be fucking excellent to finish this thing, seeing as I started building it at the start of the first covid lockdown. 

Regards, VG.

• Like 9

Awesome project wouldn't mind myself..

As far as the trailer build I have a similar designed trailer for my Honda which has been great except it continued to crack the risers for the top rail on the sides from the points from the axle forward to the front.. the issue is these are limiting the bending moment and there is no triangulation.. I ended up shortening the cross bar along the front so the sides dip down to almost triangulate the sides similar to how your back section is and then I added a diagonal in just the first section.

Sorry if my explanation is garbage, but it might save you a repair job after its galv or painted.