Hyperblade

Hyperblade's KP61 Racecar "BEAMS61" Discussion

Recommended Posts

Cool to see this all finished and in action! 

How do you find your dash, in terms of latency / lagginess? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Roman said:

Cool to see this all finished and in action! 

How do you find your dash, in terms of latency / lagginess? 

 

 

Absolutely no latency or lagginess once PC Link is running. The 8inch tablet was a 1.2 ghz quad core processor and 1gb ram and that was fine too even on battery.

There is a delay when PC Link starts and it loads all it's resources but that lasts about 5s then it's sweet from then.

I did have the tablet bluescreen on the dummy grid, but I've set it to restart automatically, login then load up PC Link so it came back just as i started the race.

Oh and Windows 10 auto updates are a pain (so slow to update and sometimes fails), but if you don't have wireless connected it can't do anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found in my car with an inverter powering a dash laptop I occasionally get a complete system lock up - requiring a restart of the laptop. Seems to be caused by random surges from the inverter. (I'm not using the original power supply on the laptop so the barrel plug kind of just flops around in the socket)

 

Is your tablet just powered by USB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

I've found in my car with an inverter powering a dash laptop I occasionally get a complete system lock up - requiring a restart of the laptop. Seems to be caused by random surges from the inverter. (I'm not using the original power supply on the laptop so the barrel plug kind of just flops around in the socket)

 

Is your tablet just powered by USB?

Nope still has battery as well.

I happened to talk to the Link guys out at the track and they said noise on the USB power line can cause issues with computers. I've also had it lock up when i unplugged the USB power so I generally leave it plugged in now.

I have a dedicated 12v from battery which I can switch on separate from ignition so I tend to leave that on the whole time i'm out at the track. I use a similar system for the GOPro but it doesn't have the battery any more.

On the dummy grid the blue screen happened when i started the car while it was already getting power through the USB, so noise does make sense as the cause.

It took the whole warm up lap to collate data to send to microsoft before rebooting, nothing like driving around and watching a progress bar...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All but 2 of the photos you posted today don't display for me. I can see the ones from before today....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Adoom said:

All but 2 of the photos you posted today don't display for me. I can see the ones from before today....

 

23 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

Some sort of google drive permissions setting perhaps?

Thanks for letting me know! They are stored in Google Photos, and the forum software was being smart and linking rather then copying them, looked fine to me as I was logged in. The other ones were hosted on a public img host.

All fixed :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2017 at 21:41, Alfasprinter said:

whats the make/model of tablet you use? looking for a good dash for my racecar. 

Awesome car looks like a bunch of fun!

It's a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/thinkpad/thinkpad-tablet-2/

I got it as it has the 2 USB ports which makes life easy.

I have it so it auto logs in, and then automatically runs PCLink on startup, which is then configured to auto connect and go full screen, this means if the tablet has an error, it should automatically restart and eventually get back in to displaying the dash (startup from cold is a bit slow).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see things are progressing in the right direction! It's always a buzz seeing your hard work turn into lap times. 

The car is sounding great too... I've been considering going away from my side pipe for clearance reasons, but there rowdiness of this makes me want to reconsider. 

What happened to the TRD pipes? I wouldn't mind a set for my car. I assume they're more likely to fit an AE than a KP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Truenotch said:

Glad to see things are progressing in the right direction! It's always a buzz seeing your hard work turn into lap times. 

The car is sounding great too... I've been considering going away from my side pipe for clearance reasons, but there rowdiness of this makes me want to reconsider. 

What happened to the TRD pipes? I wouldn't mind a set for my car. I assume they're more likely to fit an AE than a KP. 

Thanks!

I was quite worried about the noise and going over the 95dba as they are really loud, but it turned out that on track they are the same 87dba as the old system, now there's no way it's quieter so it's just the fact they go out the side rather then the back. Going out the side has cleaned up the back a lot, means it should be easier to do a diffuser now which was my long term plan. Plus side pipes are just look cool...

I sold the TRD pipes on Trademe, went to a guy in Blenheim. Interestingly the sizing of the TRD pipes is larger then what most guys are doing for their 4-1 race systems, but the results speak for themselves.

Fitment wise it depends how far forward and high the engine is sitting, but I think you would have a better chance of fitting them in, they were just not going to work in the starlet without major cutting and reshaping.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There you go again with doing things that I've been planning to do on my car :P

I think the glass over ply idea is a really good one and I also think it's a good idea to run aluminium angle along the length of the splitter to give it extra rigidity + mounting points. The ideal outcome is a splitter you can stand on. 

I'll dig out some pics of a quick release splitter I saw recently - it gave me a couple of ideas for attaching the rear of the tray. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one’s made from ACM panel and uses steel angle for strength (probably a bit heavy). I like the way it uses pins to attach at the rear. 

E398B647-8934-4D77-AE54-513B5B4585D7.thumb.jpeg.f738bb1f67f855a32ef0a9c67dc760fa.jpeg

BA49B91C-5D60-421B-AD56-334492F4E103.thumb.jpeg.560a477641e0b2af43feb2b19d0b73ea.jpeg

Where are you getting your aero design info?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Truenotch said:

There you go again with doing things that I've been planning to do on my car :P

I think the glass over ply idea is a really good one and I also think it's a good idea to run aluminium angle along the length of the splitter to give it extra rigidity + mounting points. The ideal outcome is a splitter you can stand on. 

I'll dig out some pics of a quick release splitter I saw recently - it gave me a couple of ideas for attaching the rear of the tray. 

 

51 minutes ago, Truenotch said:

This one’s made from ACM panel and uses steel angle for strength (probably a bit heavy). I like the way it uses pins to attach at the rear. 

Where are you getting your aero design info?

I've been holding off doing the aero until I got the engine sorted as I knew it should be making more power and I wanted a consistent car to experiment on.

Plus I now have another honda I have to catch which is running 3-5s in front with a 2L engine, i noticed through the corners he dominated me, but down the straight it was similar pace, I don't think I'll ever be as quick as him, but I can hopefully get a little bit closer to at least make it harder for him!

The other advantage of glass over ply is it protects the plywood, i'm still waiting on feedback from the guy who's going to do it, to see if it's going to be strong enough. Yep I think running aluminium angle makes a lot of sense for both those points you make. 

I've read that about standing on it, but it really depends on the use, for us we aren't really doing 250kph+ so the forces are a less, so you have to be really careful not to overbuild it.

Thanks for those pictures, it's really hard to find good pictures of decent mounting systems!  I like the pin idea (have also seen a slotted version), the only thing I also want is to be able to adjust the height maybe I can use the vertical member to do that.

 

One source I've been using is https://www.youtube.com/user/Kyleengineers 

He has some good videos that explain what's happening, that plus reading has given me a rough idea on the key bits (low pressure/high pressure) work.

He has a good video on beginner aero.

 

He's quite good at simplifying it, he's also just been hired by an F1 Team to do aero so must be fairly accurate...

 

It's actually really hard to find good info, as you have to be really careful what you copy, as a lot of aero is built to the regulations of the class the car is running in and they might design it quite differently if they were allowed to.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm impressed that you've dropped a second off your lap time from the front splitter and ducting mods! I wouldn't have thought it would be worth the effort at 12kg... 

Nice work on all of your developments by the way. You're doing everything I've been thinking about for the last couple of years :D . 

 

Are you going to add side plates to the rear diffuser? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Truenotch said:

I'm impressed that you've dropped a second off your lap time from the front splitter and ducting mods! I wouldn't have thought it would be worth the effort at 12kg... 

Nice work on all of your developments by the way. You're doing everything I've been thinking about for the last couple of years :D . 

 

Are you going to add side plates to the rear diffuser? 

 

Thanks!

The ducting mods made a big difference.

I normally struggled to keep up with a competitor down the straight and instead could overtake him.

I did take a bit of weight out of the car (alternator, doors etc) so i'm probably about even at the moment for adding it..

The splitter has had a big negative affect in the braking zones as the balance isn't right so i'm having to brake sooner then I normally would to keep the rear on the ground, but through the corners it is adding noticeable downforce and allowing me to turn in better.

I'm hoping the diffuser balances it all out. Yep end plates and strakes added, just forgot to take a photo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have adjustable brake bias? If so, you might be able to dial out some of the unsettled braking in the rear. 

Pretty curious to see the effect of the diffuser though! Keep the updates coming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Truenotch said:

Do you have adjustable brake bias? If so, you might be able to dial out some of the unsettled braking in the rear. 

Pretty curious to see the effect of the diffuser though! Keep the updates coming. 

Yep, i lowered the pressure to the rear during the racing and got it driveable but it wasn't stopping as well after that. Just the act of stomping on the brakes forced the front to dive a lot and so the rear to go up, so required me to be a bit less aggressive on them to keep the car flatter (probably also need some harder springs at the front).

Will be trying it on Friday, so fingers crossed it's dry.

Hard to know if it will help as the interaction of the live axle makes things a bit more tricky for us to get the air leading into the diffuser right.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that live axle life is tricky! I've been trying to come up with a nice solution for a while. I'm always worried that the air will catch the top of the diffuser panel and cause more harm than it's worth. 

Stiffer springs makes sense too. The more aero grip you generate, the less spring compliance you need (in theory). What rates are you running at the moment? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now