Triumphant's 1969 Skoda Sabre

Triumphant

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@EpochNZ There was one orange one that looked to be pretty solid and complete - I'd say that there would be enough there to Frankenstein one out of another one or two cars haha. Even if you got one solidish car you could probably get it back together with parts from the Skoda Club / Skoda Barrys dotted around the place! 

IMG_2139.JPG

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I had one of these cut down into a buggy 30 years ago. Survived a Derby, only thing that stopped it was a fan blade broke loose, threw itself around the engine bay randomly and broke the side off the carb. Adapted a 1500 VW carb onto it. Was insanely fast, we got 80mph out of it on a tarseal road just out of Dargaville. It would wheelstand if you weren't careful. Far faster than mates 1600 VW one. 

Sharn aside, this car looks a real gem. Good to see someone showing a underrated marque some love it deserves. Keep up the good work! 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, MACKAZ said:

I had one of these cut down into a buggy 30 years ago. Survived a Derby, only thing that stopped it was a fan blade broke loose, threw itself around the engine bay randomly and broke the side off the carb. Adapted a 1500 VW carb onto it. Was insanely fast, we got 80mph out of it on a tarseal road just out of Dargaville. It would wheelstand if you weren't carefully. Far faster than mates 1600 VW one. 

Sharn aside, this car looks a real gem. Good to see someone showing a underrated marque some love it deserves. Keep up the good work! 

@MACKAZ Sounds like an absolute weapon! I've heard similar stories re the fan - A guy told me he had the fan explode which threw the blades through the bonnet/bootlit and give it shark gills haha. Cheers

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JustHarry said:

@Triumphant How much stuff is left down marshlands Rd.

Have seen the wreckers in and out of there quite frequently recently.

How's Charlie to deal with now. He went a bit grumpy with some of us for no reason

@JustHarry Really empty now, nothing solid left (that is for sale). I've had no problems with him but I heard he'd been getting lowballed by a lot of people and people stealing stuff so I understand why he would just get the scrap guys in (not saying you were doing that!). Wish I had seen the site in its heyday!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the outputs are the same, the box mounts are different, and you may need to chop the "trans tunnel" a bit under the seat to allow for the extension for the 5th gear.

If you can find a good pair of front wheel arches, they are good to use for the rear for more wheel clearance.

You can use the wider 120 axles by cutting the trailing arm mount off the axle tube and moving further in.

The difference in width with the 120 front end is all in the wishbones, so in theory you could use a 120 r+p front end at standard width is you had the steering arms on the rack shortened. The upright on the 120 has slightly different bottom pin and top bush, but will swap. 120 hub has hubcentric ring, the early ones didn't.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
28 minutes ago, Alfashark said:

Miami Blue! Otherwise known as beach public toilet block blue... 

Looks like an easy save and comes with a parts car, so I'd call that a win.

Is that an old Octavia sitting to the right of it in the paddock pic?

Haha will need to do some beach scouting for a photo op once its road legal! And close, it's a 1200 which is the predecessor to the Octavia / 440 models. Very cool car and more than a bit tempted! Don't think it was for sale though.

SKODA 1200 Berline | Motor car, Skoda, Škoda auto

• Like 2

• 8 months later...