Daihatsu yrv turbo. Any good?

Seedy Al

I hate starting new threads.  Especially about newish cars.

But seriously considering buying a Daihatsu YRV turbo for daily duties. 

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? Fills all the boxes I want really.  Small. Turbo. Probably auto for traffic jam life. And post 2000 for 1 year wofs.

Would rather have a mira turbo or something but these seem to be able to be bought for teaspoon money.

Thanks for anything anyone can tell me.

daihatsu-yrv-top-edition-05.jpg

• Like 1

A mate of mine just sold one recently after owning one for several years (Sean in Wellington - Al, I think you might know him). I originally picked it up in Auckland and stored it for a few weeks before he came to grab it.

They are quite economical, which is great for around town, but are a bit ungainly when cornering due to being taller than they are wide. Also the shittier the tyres, the more sledging that occurs. I remember experiencing a bad lockup coming down the Ngauranga gorge in the wet in his one.

It was auto as well which did take some of the fun factor out of driving it. But yeah, they have a responsive little 4 cylinder 1.3 turbo and a surprising amount of room inside, easy to park too which is good. They share a platform with a bunch of other Toyotas and Daihatsus so parts are cheap and plentiful and in the time he had it not much went wrong except for a bit of paint fade and an accessory belt needed to be replaced.

Get one!

...or if you can wait a few months while I try and source a windscreen for this blasted Alto you could eventually buy that instead. Lawl!

• 2 weeks later...

Guy at my old job had one. Auto grenaded its self, so he was converting to manual. Not sure if he ever finished that project before i left. His opinion was that the autos were rubbish; probably fine for around town but dont abuse it.