Stuck and stranded in rangiora/kaiapoi/christchurch. Help? :(

Moffmo

Hey guys.  Out on our trip in the van and we suddenly lost all power.  Had AA out and the camshaft gear has stripped on our holden 202 red.  We only get the one tow so we can either get towed to a garage or home. I'd like to see if we can get towed to a garage and get a rental car to continue with the holiday before admitting defeat and going home!! 

Can anyone help or know of a garage I can ring today to do the work on Weds? 

Cheers. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a spare car if you want to borrow it. 86 mirage hatchback, has reg and WOF.  In governors bay,  but can drop off tomorrow afternoon. Try butler auto spares for parts, has a lot of old school stock. Usually very helpful, got a good website too.  Think there is going to be a  car working bee at i500gt's (karl) place in the next few days, maybe we can sort it out there? Depends if they are an interference motor or not. 3onthetree will be there, think he knows a bit bout those motors...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, h4nd said:

Belfast auto have treated me well, but they seem to be closed ATM. Am enquiring with North Canterbury Engine Reconditioners (98 williams, Kaiapoi). I've had good work from them too.

No reply from them (workshop or private number) sorry. Must be on holiday.

• Like 1

FFFFFFUUUU I was yarning to a Barry just this afternoon about how Holden sixes use a shitty fibre timing gear and distributor gear which tend to strip when they get old.

Sorry, that doesn't help but I hope you have something sorted Mayte. They are NOT an interference motor. The fibre timing gear on the camshaft is pressed on. So the camshaft may need to removed. They can be done in place though, by smashing off the remaining fibre cam gear and drilling holes in a line along the metal collar left behind on the camshaft. Then split that with a cold chisel. A bit rangi but it works every time. Then tap the new one on with a block of wood and a helper pushing the cam forward through the fuel pump hole. I would definitely install a new alloy timing gear set (crank and cam gears) as they will genuinely last forever and thus quell what is essentially one of only a few potential weak links that a normal duty Holden 6 will have. The proper way however is to have the new gear pressed on with the cam out of the engine, but the aforementioned method works well and will be as accurate as the gears originally fitted to the engine hahaha. The sump may have bits of fibre timing gear through it too, it loves to clog up the oil pickup.

The crankshaft timing gear can be removed with the crankshaft in place. A gear puller does the job. Or a bit of heat and two screwdrivers.

Keen to lend a hand when I'm there in a couple of days if you need it.

• Like 4

Honestly.  You guys are so awesome. 

Thanks to everyone that has helped today.  

Especially to Fellixx who has just towed us to a camp site so we are a bit more comfortable! (top 10 Chch) 

Thanks to all that offered to loan a car too.  We have a rental until weds/Thursday.  Will be finding out from AA tomorrow. 

We are here until weds at least as we cannot find any workshop that will be open.  They are all shut until the 9th. But hopefully one will be on Weds. But all workshops will want to drop the engine when I know that you *can* smash it off. 

So glad to find out its a non interference engine.  

Threeonthree.  If you can do the work I'll be more than happy to pay for your time. There's limited space though at the front of the engine... 

I can get hold of a Fibre one for sure.  Will try and get alloy though.

You guys are so so awesome!!!!