steering rack reloction

george_lanyon

the problem is the rules say the rack must be mounted in the middle.

Rookie is correct in the fact that the geometry doesnt change if you move the body of the rack sideways, and the different amount of lock could be solved by putting a lock spacer in one side to reduce the lock on the side that has more.

To do this you would have to apply for an exemption from the rules via a design approval or similar from LVVTA

but by the time you do all this plus shift the rack across and make a spacer and pay more for a cert cause now it has steering mods and pay for the certifier to do a bump steer test , you could just move the engine

the rack and peanut bind up.

ha

• Like 1

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem is the rules say the rack must be mounted in the middle.

Rookie is correct in the fact that the geometry doesnt change if you move the body of the rack sideways, and the different amount of lock could be solved by putting a lock spacer in one side to reduce the lock on the side that has more.

To do this you would have to apply for an exemption from the rules via a design approval or similar from LVVTA

but by the time you do all this plus shift the rack across and make a spacer and pay more for a cert cause now it has steering mods and pay for the certifier to do a bump steer test , you could just move the engine

ha

Moving the rack sideways and using a lock spacer will reduce the amount of available steering lock. Is there any ruling re the minimum amount of lock required?

Moving the rack sideways and using a lock spacer will reduce the amount of available steering lock. Is there any ruling re the minimum amount of lock required?

there is a minimum turning circle, i cant remember what it is off the top of my head, but it is large, i assume for the likes of stretched limos etc to still be able to pass

Lol yet again you have proved that your opinion isn't even worth the bandwidth used to write it sr2...

Wait, what? Are you saying Clint that if you move a steering rack you can't get a cert? What about all of the scratch built cars, and cars converted to steering rack?

Mate, get you facts right before commenting; i.e. you're full of shit.

If you do a little research you'll find despite our differences of opinion both Cletus and myself have both been involved with modifying cars for decades.

I can vouch for the fact that despite being at loggerheads on most issues (LVVA in particular!) the last thing either of us would compromise on is vheicle safety.

• Like 2

what is unsafe about moving the rack housing sideways? nothing, the system is in the wrong.

the older i get the more i prefer to continue to be a criminal than be involved in this farce.

In an ideal world the region of the inner ball joint is supposed to be in line with the upper and lower arm joints so moving it sideways it gets moved slightly.  Might not be so bad if you moved it rearwards.

But you know all this and can probably work out the bump steer to minimal too.

The housing is just a mount essentially, nothing changes but lock. The thing that changes fundamental geometry is the length of the rack itself (which OMG stays the same) and its position in space, which if you move the housing sideways you can turn the steering wheel and its back where it was. 

Anyway its illegal, just roll dangerously like sentra dave.

So i'm trying to think of a way to limit lock on one side so that they pass cert for moving it sideways a few mill', not working out so well unless it was a power steering rack.

Might be easier to move the engine (no modding seals for that)

For and aft starts playing with your Ackerman and toe steer geometry.

Rubbish, ackerman is determined by the relationship between steering arm angle and wheelbase. (Do your homework).

The problem is that the LVVA is trying to produce safe vehicles. If you are against them then you are not helping.

No offence intended mate but after reading your thread all I can say is I'm impressed with your obvious fab skill (love your project) but you need to ditch the LVVA lapdog persona.

The LVVA is a self perpetuating "old boys whiskey club" whose primary agenda is justifying their own existence.

It's the guys on the front line doing the certifying who are trying to ensure the safety of modified vehicles on NZ roads. (Give credit where credit's due).

• Like 3

(my fab skills are weak, but thanks)

Yes of course the guys on front line are doing the hard work, however somebody needs to supply in black and white what the rules are or there would obviously be problems.

Just like the NZ police. They follow a set of rules and laws.

Rubbish, ackerman is determined by the relationship between steering arm angle and wheelbase. (Do your homework).

Moving the rack for and aft will effect your ackerman angle closer to full lock, by altering the angle of the tie rod ends in relation to the tie rod/upright/knuckle (top view) and the leverage (and distance) it can apply to the tie rod.

• Like 1

For what it's worth i know someone that lopped an inch off each end pf a MK3 cortina steering rack and fitted longer tie rod things to compensate.  Made the cortina handle well, like the factory should have done in the first place.

B5833E10-8F65-437B-B32B-CA7D8980F998_zps

938A8C89-725F-41C0-AE71-343FA585AEEE_zps

Do your own homework before you write off my statements as "Rubbish" please.

• Like 4