Adoom's Husqvarna Ride-on

Adoom

I'm not sure if this is worthy of a project thread.

I got this mower for $250 buy now. Seemed cheap. Picked it up this morning.

IMAG5083.jpg

It had been sitting in a farm shed for ages.

All the tyres were flat. I pumped them up and they seem to be holding air, they are full of cracks.

Had to remove this wheel to fit it on the trailer.

IMAG5084.jpg

I JUST fit it in the garage. 

IMAG5085.jpg

Both sides of the frame are cracked just behind the engine.

IMAG5086.jpg

V-TWIN!

IMAG5088.jpg

IMAG5089.jpg

No idea how old it is. I think they made this model from 1990 to 2003.

The Bonnet thing is missing. It has a big steel bumper now.

The battery is stuffed, need a new one. I fucked around for ages trying to jump it off the racecar, but my shitty supercheap jumper cables just started melting. I could only get the engine do do part of a rotation....

So I connected the battery directly and discovered that the problem was that the ignition cuts out when you turn the key too far?!

I chucked some gas in it. Still no go. Checked fuel was coming out of the pump. Drained the float bowl. SUCCESS!! It's alive!!! No smoke.

It has drive.

Doesn't seem to have brakes... The pedal only seems to disengage the drive by taking tension off the drive belt. WTF am I supposed to do on a hill?????

Things to do:

Replace the fucked fuel hose.

Use the big ratchet ties to try close up those cracks and weld some plates over them.

New battery(racecar battery is too tall).

Replace the front left kingpin bush, it's totally shagged and making the steering have massive amounts of play.

Tighten all the loose bolts.

Find out why it shreds the belt(according to seller). I think he's just put it on wrong maybe?

• Like 4

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Timed blades? i.e. a toothed belt so blades don't knock shit out of each other?

Just replaced belt on my mower and buying belt from U.K. was about half the price of local.Had to download manual to see how to route it cos I pulled it out when it snapped without looking how it went first...  :)

Nah, it's just a plain V belt. Haven't lifted it up high enough to see the blades yet.

Belt should be straightforward then, maybe it's shredding em cos the chassis is wonky.

Don't know about huskys, but should have brakes, usually there's a foot pedal you can lock down so's you can get off with motor running. 

Yarp, got that foot pedal. Internet and parts explosion says it has brakes. I guess they are worn/seized/not connected. Will investigate tomorrow.

I remember dad having issues with the belts on his John Deere.

Standard vee belts don't like being inverted which they are I think on most mowers, if I remember correctly you need a Kevlar belt or something so it doesn't destroy itself being bent the wrong way.

No engine in that pic, fuel level just right to be below the filler neck and blocked the end of the line with a bolt.

Found that disc brake as Mjrstar mentions, was missing the spring that connects it to the rod connected to the pedal. Completely seized so I pulled it to bits and freed up the two pins that are meant to slide freely. Just need to get a spring now. Someone's lost a few bits that hang the deck and put some bits in the wrong place. Can get parts new from states pretty cheap by the looks. Will wait til new motor arrives, need to see if I can get electrical system fitted to the pull start motor.

Hoping the output shaft sizes are the same between the motors, have been caught out by that before albeit on Honda/clones.

Did some work.

Took the Mower deck off. Jacked the front end up intending to put some axle stands under it. But then this happened.

IMAG5091.jpg

IMAG5098.jpg

FYI: It has a tow bar that's stopping it going any further back.

I used a ratchet tie down to pull the cracks in the frame closed. It took hardly any effort at all.

Welded the outside of the crack and plated the rear with some flat bar I had lying around.

IMAG5094.jpg

IMAG5095.jpg

Chucked some paint on there that was left over from the mini bike.

The underside and brakes were coated in loads of grass and muck. Most of it came off with the hose.

Also welded a broken bracket here. Forgot to paint it....

IMAG5097.jpg

Took the brake off to clean. One of the pins was totally seized, I had to press it out with the vice. But seems to work now. Needs some adjustment though.

The drive belt is super fucked. Definitely need to replace it. There is an idler/guide pulley that does not look factory. They have used an UNSEALED?! bearing that's totally seized and missing some balls.

You can see where the belt had been rubbing on it.

IMAG5102.jpg

IMAG5103.jpg

IMAG5104.jpg

• Like 2

What are you doing with the old motor?

Spares and will likely be taking all the bolt on parts suited to this mower from it to fit my one. Pretty spectacular failure, would need a new crank, piston, connecting rods. That wouldn't be cost effective I believe.

Yet to receive the new engine.

So I got that replacement bearing.

I knocked the old bearing out of its ring thing... it was in a ring thing.

Noticed that the ring was "shimmed" with spots of braze.... Hmmmm. Oh well, knocked the ring onto the new bearing.

Started putting the adjuster thing back together and thought "how can this work....? There is nothing to stop the bearing from spinning on this bush."

Hmmm, the bush is a bit cracked... those aren't cracks! That's grain! It's made from WOOD?! And the bolt is a coachbolt. Sigh. I think I will make a new bush that can actually clamp the bearing center.

IMAG5105.jpg

• Like 2