Adoom's Husqvarna Ride-on

Adoom

My belts arrived today. I had time to install the drive belt tonight. Greased some of the dry rusty pivot joint bits and the steering. Adjusted the brake/clutch pushrod. Brakes seem to work with a little bit of pushing in the garage. I should have time tomorrow night for a test drive and a proper brake test.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a test ride just up the drive before it got dark.

Initially there was no drive.... no matter the gear.

Slipping belt????

So I lifted it back up, belt seemed fairly tight. I loosened the belt and tried turning the gearbox input pulley with it in gear. Pulley turns and wheels don't......!?!?!? How does this gearbox work??

I put it back down and tried again. Now it works. It starts with a jerk then slowwwwww.

Is that normal?

Does it have a split pulley where the V-gap changes for the different speeds? I think on these one part spins freely.

The last one I looked at like this had a shagged pulley. Cost $350 for a new one (not a husqy though, maybe they use a different system)

Does it have a split pulley where the V-gap changes for the different speeds? I think on these one part spins freely.

The last one I looked at like this had a shagged pulley. Cost $350 for a new one (not a husqy though, maybe they use a different system)

Nah. One large pulley on the gearbox input. All the gears live in the gearbox. I can't think of why it would not be engaged right away, unless there are a bunch of gear teeth missing?

I had planned on working on the mower deck today...

I got some R-clips to replace the split pins in the clevis pins that hold the deck on.

I also got some replacement fuel hose and replaced the old perished hose.

Then, for some reason I decided to remove the steering linkage from the left kingpin. I assumed there was a plastic bush that was worn down to nothing.... But it turned out, it was a metal bush. It was super loose because the two halves of the front crossmember had separated making the hole far too big.

I couldn't clamp it closed while it was on the mower. So I took it off to put it in the vice. Then welded the shit out of it.

The steering is better now. The top of the kingpin no longer rocks back and forth when you try turn.

• Like 1

I did this:

IMG_20160423_184424.jpg

IMG_20160423_184323.jpg

IMG_20160423_184254.jpg

Also looked at the old motor and that thing is FUCKED.

It looks like the bolt that clamps the two halves of the counterweight came loose (was 10mm unwound) causing the two halves to separate over time. I couldn't figure out where all the oil it kept leaking was coming from until I wiped it's arse and found that many things came to an abrupt stop inside the motor and smashed a great big crack/dent into the case. Inside is full of silver slime and tiny bits of everything. Cam, valves, flywheel and coil will be useful spares. Everything else is goneburger.

• Like 2

So I worked on the deck today.

I think I found the reason why it ate belts. The deck is not standard. There is a HUGE bolt that the clutch swing arm pivots on and it has two nuts locked together, they were on the top and getting in the way of the belt, I flipped the bolt around so the nuts are underneath after checking there was ample clearance from the blade.

I also had to weld a handle on the bolt holding one of the blades on cause it was rounded.

I sharpened the best one and put the other new one on.

Then one of the deck hanging brackets broke. I didn't have any suitable steel to make a new one, so I just welded it.

But it's all together! I tried engaging the blades. It sounds like it wants to take off!

It was a bit late, so I'll do a test mow tomorrow if it's not raining. Oh yeh, I also drained the old black oil out, so I'll need to get some more oil when the shops open.

• Like 1

No test mow today. Couldn't find anywhere open that had the right oil filter. I got the oil though.

The minimum cut height looks like it's about 50-60mm. Does that sound right? Or is that just my custom made deck?

No test mow today. Couldn't find anywhere open that had the right oil filter. I got the oil though.

The minimum cut height looks like it's about 50-60mm. Does that sound right? Or is that just my custom made deck?

Totally reckon it need to be modified to match the height of a normal mower.

With 50-60mm, honey I shrunk the kids would have been a non-event and they'd just stand there meh'ing.

• Like 2

I found a manual. The cut height should be between 1.5" (40mm) and 4" (100mm).

"The average lawn should be cut to 2.5" during the cool season and to over 3" during hot months". You could lose and elephant in that length of grass!!!?

I've also got the tyre pressure way too high, should be only 12psi.

I checked that the deck was level this morning. The blades are about 50mm off the ground at the lowest setting. I buzzed the grass strip down the drive. It looked okay, so I did the verge too.

The rear steer is a bit loose. I have to overcorrect the front wheels to pull the rear wheels straight, then straighten the front wheels again. So doing a tight turn is a bit involved.

The rear steering is actuated with a pushrod that has a lever and yoke that runs in a smiley mouth. The yoke looks like it's worn so much that it's a loose fit in the ....mouth and the steering has to be turned loads to move the pushrod.

Rear%20steering.jpg

Will take it over to the new section tomorrow and mow my lawn.