Daves new school holden shambles

Muncie

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took this to Frankton Thunder this year and to KFC once..... I reckon it's safe to pull off road now and make a start on the final push.

Hoo roo bumper! I need an intercooler in here.

Bumper support is obviously in way and power steering cooler just behind it.

A bit of force moved the power steering cooler and its bracket easily enough.

IMG_20240329_192155_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Thanks 1

Broke out the angle grinder and created a space for the intercooler tried to be conservative left some structure in it so it's not all floppy 2x 8mm bolts and the intercooler is hanging securely off it.

Now I can start making intercooler pipes and fitting up the turbo setup.

IMG_20240329_192202_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cletus said:

Cert= can't cut that bumper beam unfortunately 

Well fuck.... lucky I kept the piece I cut out. I'll work on moving it back further.

Could I get a replacement fabricated Or its just new car stuff that can't be messed with?

I won't lose sleep tonight over cutting a removable part as a smaller intercooler is always an option.

Thanks for heads up.

• Like 1

Well that's black and white been a while since I read the LVVTA bible......

Current plan is obtain a bumper beam not mess with it and sneak a less tall intercooler under it same specs just not as tall can carry on as is for now get it running and worry about this later. As pipework locations will be same.

Got lots to fabricate intercooler pipework a battery to move and wiring for my reversed inlet manifold to do.

@cletus I take it putting intercooler pipes through panelwork in engine bay is a no can do now? Eg coming through where airbox was and battery. I can try squeeze it between radiator but would rather not.

Screenshot_20240329_231731_Edge.jpg

Screenshot_20240329_232040_Chrome.jpg

It will fit behind the bar if i remove the air-conditioning which I've spent quite a bit of extra work already trying not to do. I did try leaning it but would need to be on such an angle it wouldn't work and block airflow for radiator.

Catch 22 there's definitely a way so many others have done it already.

Can still do holes in single skin panels, that's fine. 

Lvvta have recently said that you can make a new front beam , but it requires finite element analysis, and approval from lvvta,  to prove it is exactly the same strength as original 

I have not heard of anyone doing that yet though as it's obviously not easy or cheap

3 hours ago, cletus said:

lvvta have recently said that you can make a new front beam , but it requires finite element analysis, and approval from lvvta,  to prove it is exactly the same strength as original 

that could end up being an utter nightmare. the wording 'exactly the same as original' depending on tolerances could mean you design several after completing the analysis, presumably youd also need to FEA the original part too to gain the benchmark. unless you happen to be an engineer that would be a non starter, i don't disagree with it at all though, i see daily how how much work those crash/crumple zones do and thats work that's not being done by your body. 

I got a new beam through by just doing calcs and showing that the new was was stronger. Was simple though as the original was an aluminium rhs and the new one a piece of chromoly bar. That said it took months for me to come back and say yes and it’s just easier to put a smaller intercooler 

So ignoring the elephant that is my Intercooler for now...... I ripped my happy running car to bits and started to fit parts from the internet, reverse plenum I kind of redid and my 850cc injectors

IMG_20240331_200008_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

Here you can see I now have throttle body facing other side of engine bay this may or may not create a whole pile of new problems like wiring and throttle cables fuck it I will cross that bridge another day for now onwards and (Possibly) upwards.

IMG_20240331_200021_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 1

Happily everything ordered so far fits injectors dropped right in, were a snug fit I haven't dare prime pump yet may piss fuel everywhere. Better add that to whiteboard before I go to far.

• Like 2

Ahh yeah thats where I'm stuck at the moment too. 

I've got about a dozen new points in the fuel system where it could potentially spray out of, at tank end and engine end. 

Need to find the time to clear all of the crap off, and push the whole car out a safe distance from the house. haha.

I'm loving the progress on this! 

Shame about the bumper bar, intercooler setup looked cool.

@Roman

I've reached out to an Ozzie group on Facebook and a guy is running same size setup behind the bar requires some bends fitted but that's easy in scheme of things.

It's just occurring to me as the RTV on my intake is setting I need to weld a AN6 fitting on my fuel rail for the new regulator..... shit.

Pushing through analysis paralysis and fucking things up to see what the problems are surprisingly is some times an effective way of nutting things out.

FB_IMG_1711875269787.jpg

• Like 2

This drag day It'll be fast or legal probably not both or broken.

I'm surprised it's still alive it's done countless rips down a runway drag passes and road trips gravel drifts and alot of that was done running on kerosene It's earned its keep and some upgrades.

Looking forward to some roll racing so I dont scatter the 4L60E all over track.

Turned key on this morning primed fuel system amazing no leaks!

Continued on with the inlet manifold flip managed to get that all squared away of course a few things no longer fit like the lid for the plenum. A few bolts no longer lined up some did its seen a lot of welding.

A bit of filing drilling and slotting of some holes and it all went together.

IMG_20240401_131835_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 2