Daves new school holden shambles

Muncie

Got more welding gas, not sure if I can get a wof and turbo on In time for Drag day....... I've bought some Drag slicks just in case, Traction wasn't an issue last time but gearing might be better on the 19's and just rev the shit out of it instead of going over line at 3000rpm stay in second the whole way.

Ive done some Na mods and a wee muck around with tune to suit and it actually hauls ass as is so should be a good day.

Screenshot_20231009_123231.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We might see a driver swap too if my Daughter passes her Restricted test she's quite a bit lighter :grin: and i can leave a lot of shit in garage this time see if it can do a mid 15.

Last time i had 2 12inch subs a jack and 10 kg of chook food in boot.

My daughter will treat it with no mechanical sympathy and get best out of it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember a mate told me ages ago:

Take any car to a track, and it will do XYZ laptime.
-If you have a rollcage, you'll go a second quicker.
-If you have a trailer, you'll go a second quicker.
-If you dont give a shit about hurting the car, you'll go a second quicker.
-If you dont give a shit about hurting yourself, you'll go a second quicker.

Not exactly a 1:1 relationship to drag times but the general ethos seems to hold true. haha.

Will be cool to see how well it hooks up on the good tyres! Be some good gains there 

Tbh I did a couple of passes it was dead consistent. So just did big skids and took passengers. I'll treat it more racecar this time bring a tow car a laptop hopefully see a 15 something, I'd be over moon.

If I can get turbo bolted on be excellent! 

I chopped out the stock cat and mufflers and fitted some R35 gtr bits and a pod filter so it actually makes noise now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Most of Saturday in this bloody manifold I built it on the car which meant pulling the drivers exhaust manifold and putting it on and off an uncountable number of times.

But! It clears the power steering lines the oil filter the chassis rail and the wiring, what a fuck around. Hard part is done now though it's poking out into vacant space knew it would be a right dog to make but got there. 

Need some smaller bends then it can be sent across to passenger side to hook in to that manifold Oh and I can also start on that side....... not today.

IMG_20231021_160421_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20231021_160342_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 2

I expect some progress to happen very shortly. Original engine got dressed up with its new manifolds decided fuck it and dropped most of my savings account in Maxfabs account.

I know there's a bit to do but once it's all sitting in engine bay I'll get motivated as. I bloody love building exhausts looking forward to what's coming up.

Screenshot_20231023-182554_Chrome.jpg

Another spurt of enthusiasm drivers side manifold just needs V band stuck on and I can move to the passengers side and cross over pipe. Crossover will be piss easy nice and low just above cross member so hopefully most of the heat disappears under car.

Has been on and off of course 10 plus times in engine bay. Can tick off clearing sway bar power steering and transmission lines as well and its removable in one piece!

IMG_20231027_181526_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20231027_181539_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 4

Absolute fucking fail this morning. Turbo and wastegate fit but exhaust pokes straight into the air conditioning lines. Looks like my $700 manifold I bought was never made to work with air con fitted.

Bit pissed off I've chopped everything up to start again but have stopped to regroup before I fuck up a pile of very expensive parts.

Air con or turbo I can't currently have both.

Only things that fit I made.

No photos......

• Like 1

Change of tack. I got my mrs to look at my conundrum in exchange for reading her university paper on Mental health and DBT Therapy. And her solution although glaringly obvious is remake the AC lines I didn't want to touch them because ac ain't in my realm.

She pointed out what I have already built and said just weld new ones up....... she's right. So for now I will finish everything turbo related but the down pipe till I'm ready to deal with that the AC lines.

I'll then treat my self and build the sexy 3.5" exhaust I have all the parts for and hook it up to the R35 GTR front muffler ive already got on it (yes I already have nissan bits fitted) and just run it non turbo for a little longer to get it a warrant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Limitations accepted back to progress!

Manifold needed turbo rolled over about 30 degrees to get exhaust housing a bit more clearance around a few things good 20mm everywhere solid now Manifold is welded 100%.

Starting on drivers side crossover plumbing to go under AC pump. Piece of cake today even those AC lines look manageable.

IMG_20231029_135741_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20231029_135757_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20231029_135813_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All back together ready for a wof. All measurements taken to finish the turbo setup outside of car.

Had a heap of electrical gremlins as I'd opened so many plugs discovered the firing order was out of whack, used tunerpro to wade through it one at a time got sorted.

Actually feels pretty quick for a 500,000k slug.

IMG_20231112_201752_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20231112_201737_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had to change my middle muffler from centre-centre to offset-centre as it saved using 3x 90 degree bends. Initally was really loud but put about 50ks on it has settled down and is louder than i'd normally go for the turbo will shut it up once its on. Theres 3 mufflers already no room for any more. 

2500 rpm onwards it loves it way more go it doesnt sound horrible if anything id say it sounds like a 300zx.

Exhaust looks really low its just perspective probaby has 130mm under it its lowest point.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well surpisingly this thing took an absolute repeated hiding today at the OsDrags like a champ, and the hot air induction and exhaust worked it went as quick as 16.0 but settled into repeated 16.2's the rest of the day and even started turning the tyres off the line a bit as well as the day went on.

Plugged the laptop in during day, small changes did show results mainly bumping stuff around with the trans line pressure and shift points in setting the rev limit to 6000rpm got me the 16.0.

Was more fun then last year not having my ass handed to me every race will probably do a night speed meeting soon before bolting on the turbo.

I raced a guy in a 300zx and im sure if i turned off the aircon i would of got him! Was bloody close

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1