Chassis preperation and painting

R100

Can anyone recommend a suitable paint to paint a chassis.

I have recently purchased a truck and have removed the deck and cab.

Im after a satin black finish paint that will stick and look reasonable good without too much prep work.

I want to basically spray everything black minus the engine/gearbox, wheels and exhaust .

Was hoping to just give everything a real good water blast to remove any grease, dirt etc.

Once panted ill put the deck and cab back on and hopefully get a new COF.

Ideas please.

• Like 1

I would go for proper prep and epoxy primer topped with 2K urethane. If you are going to just water-blast and paint try using some kind of underseal type product, I don't have much experience but they usually have good adhesion.

Basically the quality of the end result will be directly proportional to how much prep you do. 

• Like 1

It doesn't have the hardness and durability of urethane 2k (or moisture cured). Nothing really competes with 2 pac urethane paint for gloss combined with durability, flexibility and chemical resistance. Compared to enamel and laquer it will last pretty much forever if you prep it right and clean it.

• Like 1

My truck chassis is reasonably tidy, just very greasy and dirty. It has a few surface rust areas that are structurally very sound but will make the COF inspector frown.

There is no bare metal any where. The areas that are starting to rust I will just wire brush and put a dap of PA10 primer (have a 1 litre tin of it already).

My favorite for finishing chassis, mechanical components, etc. is a light spray with CRC Rust converter ($11-99 per can from BNT) followed by a brushed coat of Wattyl Killrust etch primer (similar to PA10 but much cheaper). This combination is a fraction of the price of Pour10, doesn't peel off from smooth surfaces and does a great job of controlling corrosion.

I then finish off with one or two brushed coats of marine enamel, current favorite being Hempel Marine topcoat, very similar to Epiglass Marinecoat but at half the cost!