Community DIY Workshop

bugn8r

Hey guys, 

For a uni paper I'm doing we have to plan a business. Anyway I'm pretty much copying the idea of the Kustom Kommune over in Melbourne which is Community DIY Workshop. 

It's a communal space where all tools are provided. Also quite a social area with fridges/bbq's etc, perfect for meets.

Anyway for any of you that live in the city I was hoping you could help me out and give me an idea of how many people would be interested in this idea and at what cost you would pay for a monthly/yearly membership? 

The more information I collect the better so even if you don't need the space just imagine having to live in the centre of town without a garage, think how shit it could be haha. 

Cheers guys

• Like 1

Your message is not clear whether;

1) You are just doing a plan for a Uni paper (so you only intend to discuss Dungeons and Dragons style) or

2) Actually considering setting up a community DIY workshop

Might help if you said what city you were actually talking about too.

A real one, would be a primo idea.

Interesting concept.

I personally have no need for a garage at home, as the most I am likely to do myself is an oil change or something. However, I have mates that have lock ups, and end up there most weekends working on something (not often doing much myself, but just drinking beers and shooting the shit).

Not sure what my point is.... I like the idea, but how profitable would it be - ie most car dudes would already have either a garage at home or a lockup that they can keep their car in.

Just the first thing that came to mind though! Obviously could be used for more than just car stuff....

Create a survey.

Post link.

Then you'll get more info and related to what you want/need.

Unless this thread is to create said survey, lol.

In which case:
I would use it (if I was a city critter)
A bay with a hoist and bench.
A bay with a bench.

A sanding bay with a bench.
All with air/power/light/water adequate ventilation.
Refuse/recycling/waste oil.

Pay per hour (then you don't get people parked in the damn things).

Wouldn't expect tools, that would be a nightmare for the poor bugger running it!

And a bar next door/connected :P

• Like 2

Have a look at "men's sheds " or the "sheedies". They are not uncommon, but have age restrictions , ie over 50 yo .

I'm trying to get my dad to join one so he can go use the lathes and mills for me.

As some one else mentioned most people that automotive is a job or a hobby Wil have most of what the need and will have sorted access to space when needed.

It's the big things like lathes, mills,, welders, pipe benders and spray booths. The next level up equipment that only those with space and cash tend to have .

• Like 4

I would consider using one if it had tools/facilities I don't have eg hoist, presses, pipe benders, lathes, spray booth yadda yadda

Then again I couldn't be bothered with fuckwits breaking stuff, so many clowns won't ask how to use something if they don't know. Would there be a supervisor keeping shit in order? If not I probably wouldn't bother.

• Like 2

It's the big things like lathes, mills,, welders, pipe benders and spray booths. The next level up equipment that only those with space and cash tend to have .

sweet trouser snake of chubness! those words need to be spread out a little more before I embarrass myself!

I see pros and cons for the idea. If it was a real good bunch of mates it would work best. If I was involved I would have to trust all the others. But then like the others on here I would only really be interested if I got access to big equipment that I just can't fit - hoist, lathes etc.

Personal experience tells me it was hard enough having to manage a workshop with staff who were being paid to use the supplied tools. but even then (and I am sure others who have worked in a workshop or own rental properties will attest) some people just don't give a shit about other peoples things or milk privelages to the maxxx.

Common issues;

Shit gets broken and no one owns up

Shit gets left in a mess

People "borrow" stuff that never shows up again

People hog time at certain things to do work for everyone else (perkies for their mates.)

As I am writing this I am convincing myself it won't work without the right people. As I said before the difference between supplied tools, paid to use them and supplied tools paying to use them is going to lend people to have some sense of entitlement to do more with them for longer.

• Like 7

A few other things to consider.

Hoist breaks and car crashes to the ground landing on someone.  Whos responsible.

Hoist breaks and car stuck on hoist. Customer gets shitty cause he needs his car.

Someone's welding and shop catches fire.

Customer pays for 1 days hoist hire and one of the tools you supply breaks causing the whole job to come to a halt, vehicle stuck on hoist with its wheels missing etc and another customer has taken a day of work the following day as he has booked the hoist aswell.

Im sure there are ways around this but things like building insurance, public liability insurance, damage and loss of tools etc are things to consider.

Im not trying to sound negative. just throwing ideas at ya.

I really wish something like this could work, sadly there are too many muppets who would break stuff including themselves.

BUT for a uni project its perfect, there is alot there to discuss and will help you explore options and find solutions, even if it doesn't look likely in practice its a good model to explore.

Id say base it on larger tools that the home fixer doesn't have, welding turning etc (big assumption users know what they are doing!!) and go from there.

Thanks heaps guys, yea I only just found out about the one in Auckland!

Emailed the guy and he's been really helpful, sent me heaps of info. The one in Melbourne that I mentioned seems to be going strong but probably based off the fact it has a bar/restaurant kinda thing as well which is bringing the money in. 

I'm after positive feedback as well as negative so keep it coming, all the stuff above is perfect!

The idea is just for a motorbike workshop (keeping it a bit smaller I guess) but I thought I'd post this here as it's the same information I'm after wether you have bikes/cars or both.

I'm hoping the dude in Auckland does well, would be nice to see it take off here in NZ and migrate to other cities.

Also does anyone hire workshop space currently in Welly? If so would you mind posting or messaging me a round figure of what you pay and what's included (size/utilities)?

Cheers guys

• 2 weeks later...

I think it could work for a group, say a section of students of a school doing vocational automotive work, or registered members of OS or any car club, or say a University on-campus facility.

Some sort of registration/admin/authority would go a long way to preventing hazards, because there is a lot of boring unsexy stuff that needs to be taken care of in terms of council shizuoka and legal this and legal that, OSH, etc.

I'd definitely use facilities not just to work on my own car, as i am a relative noob, but also make friends and learn more about doing shizz

But what happens if you turn up with a really sweet project car, any shady fellow or anyone who wants said car really badly is given the knowledge that you have that car and risk for that car getting stolen increases. Another reason to keep out the ninnys

I'd like to keep the Fords on that side and the Holdens on the other side though