Jesses 4wd lancer wagon of excitement!

DoBro Jesus

Been here for a few years and thought i should probably start a build thread on at least one of my cars.

Always had a huge soft spot for these wagons after us having one as a family car virtually my whole childhood and hating it, now i love them ironically! anywhoo picked this up from featherston on saturday, shimmied over the rimutakas in the other wagon, fella selling it cracked up as me and the missus arrived in the same car as i was buying! 

Shot back over the hill in it and fuck me did it drive like a dream, being the 4wd version it handles about 1000x better than the fwd wags.

Of course as soon as i got home it pissed down, therefore hindering my excitement to have a decent look over it!

Thankfully sunday was a mint day, got underneath first thing in the morning and had a good look, Stoked at how not-fucked it is, i only paid $300 for it so my expectations were very low haha. Some idiot had taken the old aerial out and not filled up the hole so ALL the water ran straight to the drivers floor so inside was a stinky shit-pit, moldy, rotten carpets all throughout, Thankfully Pick-a-part had a mint wagon up there with mint carpets and the same colour too! 

Pics: 

mvvov102.0wx.jpg

egw2stag.jvr.jpg

The PAP donor carpet car

dolthdzd.wnp.jpg

Carpet out

wkoigkmx.5dr.jpg

pv4jz2zj.vgz.jpg

Dank old carpet out!

zl1lr0rf.nts.jpg

Got the new one in and it's so much nicer now! Havent got pics yet thanks to short winter days and working late, Took for a warrant yesterday and failed on fuck all!

*Driveshaft hanger bearing fucked

*rear shock bushes

*exhaust leak

*steering rack boot split

Was dreading trying to find hanger bearing as it's quite a hard to come by model, but rung the good cunts at hutt city autoparts and got a new one waiting for me in the morning!

Plans are:

* Mud tyres

* Plasti-dip it matte green

* Spotties

* Try find longer springs for a bit of a lift

• Like 5

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup that's the plan, was thinking of going all rally spec and getting 4 spotties across the front grille haha.

Boring update:

Got sick of short winter days so utilised the headlights of the corolla to rip the driveshaft out on wednesday after i got the new hanger bearing.c0z3jpjx.b1j.jpg

Driveshaft out, to the left you can see the new hanger bearing, sadly not the right one which i wasn't overly surprised about being such an odd model!
pmdmnzau.0iv.jpg

Took the new bearing back to hutt city along with the old fucked one and after a bit of searching we found the right one which they had in stock thankfully. chucked it all back together at work and then chucked it back on yesterday morning. Shiny new bitsssssss
uo34kqtb.gjk.jpg

When i went to take the shocks out i realised they were a bloody crush-tube set up so instantly knew they had a moulded bush, Fuck it. Went to autolign and bit the bullet and got a new set of shocks. thankfully being basic telescopic ones they weren't hard to match up so i now have Landcruiser shocks in the rear!
uqhym4sf.aok.jpg

Got stuck into the steering rack boot today, bloody locking nut on the tie rod end was well seized on so that was fun to get off, decided i may as well replace the tie rod end while i was at it so shot back to repco, ended up coming home with new rear shoes and new plugs and leads too haha, mini shopping spree for the weekend!
dyksfmm5.cp1.jpg

New rack boot and tie rod end on.
3dqqdp1u.prq.jpg

So she's all ready to go back to vtnz once i patch up the exhaust leak tomorrow morning!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Got reasonably motivated with this in the weekend, receieved my ratmat, so ripped the interior out on sat and went to town with the sound deadening!

Got 14 sheets of it which covered the boot, most of the floor, inner door skin on the rear doors and inner and outer skins on the front doors! Really happy with the result, would definitely recommend it if yo' ride is rattly and loud!

While i had interior out i fitted my new sounds which is an Alpine IDA-x100 headunit, 4" Alpine type s speakers, Rockford fosgate prime series 6x9s, An older Alpine 4 channel amp, Orion XTR series monoblock amp running a little Digital Designs 8" LE-MO8 sub running at 1ohm, full 4 gauge wiring throughout, this lot with the quietness of the ratmat makes for a significantly more comfortable daily!

Pics:3oidkg0j.e1q.jpg

qk33pja2.rmr.jpg

2xrjxltp.gdv.jpg

r1gfkv4f.1y2.jpg

And then when i was at one of the tyre shops on a parts run today i spotted a set of 27x8.5r14s! So had a yarn to the guy about them and bought them half a hour later woooo! 

4cnmbuba.1lq.jpg

• Like 6

Yep bell housing bolt pattern is exactly the same and the 4G37 4WD uses the same flywheel diameter and clutch as the 4G63 SOHC. There is a 4WD 80s Chariot mated to a 4G63 SOHC injected at Pick a Part in Avondale if you wanted a spare gearbox, am sure yours uses the same 2.846 rear diff ratio (check on firewall build plate).

• 4 weeks later...

Exactly the 4g63 I was thinking of, what about 4g62t out of a cordia to keep it 80s SOHC goodness?

Small update anyway, fixed a heap of vacuum leaks and replaced vacuum advance with a non leaky one, runs like a dream now and significantly better on fuel! Also worked out odometer is in miles, so its actually done about 340000ks, pretty stoked it still runs so mint!

Repainted bumpers and gave it a cut and polish too so it doesn't look as much of a piece of shit now too!!

Picked up another mirage too which I'm gonna enter in the end of season demo derby after I tax all the good bits off it, bonnet is mint which is the only rusty panel on the lancer so that's a score in itself! Also has mega lush digi dash! Any idea if I can swap them over so the wagon has sweet LCD goodness? Will post pics when phones not being a chump.