Help with adding a TPS

BlownCorona

hello all

i would like to ask the opinion of OS on how i might go about adding a throttle position sensor to my engine. 

i cant really see any nice, and proper way of doing it without risking a lot of cumulative error which really would void the reason of even installing a tps and converting to computer ignition. 

these are the only pictures i have at the moment, but unfortunately the throttle shaft doesn't protrude out either end, and there isn't a great deal i can do in between the carbs. 

my best idea so far is to shape the end of the mid point throttle shaft that's bolted to the rocker cover and fit it to this assembly. however is a left over from the original carb, and the throttle cable is attached to this in a pretty hory way, i had intentions of eventually binning the whole lot and converting it to run a proper cable from the pedal.

n2etpzfw.cln.jpg
s51cfggp.uce.jpg
3w1cp0zg.0t3.jpg
5rz1ank3.ixk.jpg

that would result in quite a difference between what the sensor reads at the pedal to what the throttle plates are doing. even being a few degrees different would be enough to throw it all out of wack id say. 

also the throttle pedal wont lend well do having anything mounted to it unfortunately 

What ecu are you running? I'm 95% sure that on 100% of aftermarket ecu's you hook up your tps Then set it at zero then mash the pedal and set it at 100%. Then it does not matter what ratio of mover it has relative to the actual butterfly opening.

It is good to have as much sensor movement as you can for better resolution.

• Like 2

megasquirt, and your correct about the calibration.

my main concern is the first 2-3 degrees of pedal movement that do nothing to the butterflys, while it takes up the slack in the cables and linkages. 

but this may not be such an issue since the only time that will be used it transitioning from idle to some sort of driving. im new to ecus and stuff like this so i dont really know whats important or an issue or not. 

you did touch on my other concern i forgot to mention. if i did mount it to that shaft thats on the rocker cover. it only rotates about 60-70 degrees. 

ive got a random TPS of some toyota 4wd here and 3/5ths of how much that one turns. 

oh linear potentiometers look cool

im not sure if they will interface properly with the ecu thats expecting to see a voltage change. 

Edit - cant find much in the way of a slide potentiometer that would be suitable for engine bay use on the nice side of $250 

you allready know this but im giving it a vote anyway

cut drill/tap the end of the shaft, drill/tap a spigot,

stud+epoxy them together, file flats to accept tps?

(yeah you gotta drill a hole in the carb)

those carbs only take a moment to pull the end one off.

• Like 1

What ecu are you running? I'm 95% sure that on 100% of aftermarket ecu's you hook up your tps Then set it at zero then mash the pedal and set it at 100%. Then it does not matter what ratio of mover it has relative to the actual butterfly opening.

It is good to have as much sensor movement as you can for better resolution.

I vote for this for an easy mod.

2-3% from idle transition is nothing unless you're transitioning into this area from idle and need ignition control there.... but what do you expect to do with the ignition in this area?

yup still in auckland. am away this weekend, but on nights next week so hope to get down to zebra at some point. 

and ive come to the conclusion, with help from here, that it wont be too much of an issue for the ecu to collaborate to the car. 

Yep your table will be 12x12 so youll have it set at 9% intervills to get max table usage so having a little slop isnt the end of the world. It will be if you go injected as it itll miss sudden changes to add on extra fuel for acc enrichement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

finally got a chance to go poke around pick a part today. in the rain no less! 

settled on this bmw e36 TPS. nice and small and doesnt look ugly, and dime a dozen, they also have a very nice plug and locking system, 

plus i used to work for bmw parts, so if i ever need a brand new one i should be able to swing a deal! 

13631726591.jpg

• Like 1