tyre recommendations

dave123456789

Hey guys I need a set of 4 new tires for a new car, tyres on it a some Chinese crap and want some performance tyres so I can thrash it to death without flying off the road.

Needs to be 225/45/17.

Whats everyones experience? I have used bridgestone adrenalins re002 before and they were great but thought I should maybe ask before dropping a grand on tyres. Im open to other options.

I had a set of RE002's on my XR6T ute which were not too bad before I went to 19's (now run Pirelli P zero on the rear) - If you can get the Re002's on a 4 for the price of 3 deal from firestone they will be hard to beat I believe. Bugger paying retail price though  :shock:

I run Toyo t1R on my evo which are also decent but are pretty noisy, and possibly succeptable to scrubbing the outer shoulder off (might be how I drive it?)

4wd does the shoulder scrubbing, mabye fwd a little too.

what car is it?

I would think the  top tier or two of performance spec tyres from most of the bigger brands are probably decent so depends what shop can do what deal if you are looking for a good price

I had a set of RE002's on my XR6T ute which were not too bad before I went to 19's (now run Pirelli P zero on the rear) - If you can get the Re002's on a 4 for the price of 3 deal from firestone they will be hard to beat I believe. Bugger paying retail price though  :shock:

I run Toyo t1R on my evo which are also decent but are pretty noisy, and possibly succeptable to scrubbing the outer shoulder off (might be how I drive it?)

What model evo do you have? These tyres will be for an evo 5.

Would rate them better than the re002? I don't care about road noise

Mine is a poverty spec 4 with a few goodies on it..cams turbo ecu brembos etc..

I have 215 45 17 on evo 8 17x8's

To be honest if i had an evo 5 and it was not a daily, I would be running achilles 123 in 235 45 17.

The T1r's are a hangover from when the evo was my daily, i think they are probably slightly better all round than the re002's.

Mine is a poverty spec 4 with a few goodies on it..cams turbo ecu brembos etc..

I have 215 45 17 on evo 8 17x8's

To be honest if i had an evo 5 and it was not a daily, I would be running achilles 123 in 235 45 17.

The T1r's are a hangover from when the evo was my daily, i think they are probably slightly better all round than the re002's.

I am currently dailying it but hopefully wont be for long. its only a 5k drive to work anyway on 50k streets.

I will look into the Achilles 123 tyres. Why wouldn't you run them on a daily? Wear out too quickly?

Edit: Oh I see they are a semi slick.

evo has upgraded suspension, bigger turbo but nothing super special. just want to be able to thrash it on the country roads where I used to live and feel confident.

I did daily my evo on a set of Dz03g's for a while and got about 8000k's from a set and finished them off at a taupo track day, I think the A123's now come with close to 8mm tread so you may get closer to 10,000 which is pretty reasonable but naturally it's going to depend on how you drive it.. given the price of A123's you would get a set cheaper than the Re002's but would cost more if you factor in distance travelled - i believe the "drift" version comes with a slightly harder compound and deeper tread then the "circuit"  but don't quote me on this.

if you want to go gippier than Re002, look at dunlop star spec and westlake sport RS for a softer compound whilst still giving road look to the tread pattern. (have not used either of these myself )

Another that springs to mind (was good a few years back) is/was the Hankook RS2 great grip but yeah won't last all that long, and they were at least back then a pretty spendy option.

Consider taking a look at the Hankook range, cant remember the model name but they featured heavily when I was researching tyres last time. I ended up going Kumho KU25 due to local availability at the time and have no complaints on my ITR, comparible to the Goodyear Eagle F1 they replaced and the Yokohama S Drive prior on both road and track

• Like 1

I've run Michelin Pilot Sport 3's before and have to say they've been the best road tyre that I've driven on. You may be able to pick those up for around $1000. (I know I could sell them for that)

I currently have T1Rs on the s12 but I haven't had a chance to test them properly.

Hey guys I need a set of 4 new tires for a new car, tyres on it a some Chinese crap and want some performance tyres so I can thrash it to death without flying off the road.

Needs to be 225/45/17.

Whats everyones experience? I have used bridgestone adrenalins re002 before and they were great but thought I should maybe ask before dropping a grand on tyres. Im open to other options.

i have just worn out the t1r's on the front of my car they were awesome tyres compared to the cheap shit that was on my car when i got it. I have just replaced them adrenalins re003 and they are just as good if not better they have awesome grip in the dry and the wet

try the nitto nt555's I've run them on a couple of my cars now and they are a great price and have heaps of grip. Quite a stiff sidewall similar to a Bridgestone and also has dual compounds with a harder edge for camber wear.

in comparison before the nt555s I had eagle f1s on my daily. They were a lot more compliant with softer sidewalls but overall grip levels are about the same.