Connected Battery Wrong Way, IDIOT

fengqiu

Heya guys, I own a 79 Lancer , bug eye version and idiotically I hooked the battery the wrong way round when it was dark. damn

tried to start engine, wouldn't go, was a surprise the fuse didn't blow. 

Anyhow I checked the alternator output and it's still doing a healthy 14V, Could anything else be damaged my it?

I'm thinking ignition coil... etc because coincidentally I just noticed a misfire in my engine.. although I'm not sure if it was always there or just happened..

Cheers!

Adam

So it still turns over sweet? Easiest way to check the coil would be to pull a spark plug, then hold it up against the block while you get a mate to crank it over. Should be a nice blue spark, if there is nothing there is an ignition system. Coil could well be blown, might be worth checking/replacing the condensor too, especially if there is still a spark but it is shitty/weak/orange 

Yeah , turns over all good, just firing on 3 cylinders, 

When I put it near the sparkplug I can hear the noise of the spark going, unfortunately , it's covered by all that  rubber stuff I can't look at the spark :\

Yeah , turns over all good, just firing on 3 cylinders, 

When I put it near the sparkplug I can hear the noise of the spark going, unfortunately , it's covered by all that  rubber stuff I can't look at the spark :\

I think ben was meaning remove the sparkplug also but if you cant be arsed just chuck a key or some metal in the end of the ignition lead and see if that makes a spark when resting against the block.

Only issue I have ever had putting a battery in backwards is that the external voltage reg goes up in smoke as soon as you connect it but if its still charging your all good.

• Like 1

Testing a lead without anything in the end - i.e. A sparkplug is bad for the ign system too btw

do you have points or electronic ign?

Coils typically dont care what way the electricity flows through them. Mines been positive and negative earth without issue and have seen cars with the wires hooked up backwards and run for years

electronic ign doesnt like that tho, and if you have that it may be the cause of.your problems

otherwise check the points and bung in a new condensor

• Like 2

yeah, I think my coil is all good. Just fired it up last night. 

Think one of my cylinders are popped without me noticing

oh well first time try engine rebuild! wish me luck guys haha, lots of question to come.

any recommendations before I rip into it??

yeah, I think my coil is all good. Just fired it up last night. 

Think one of my cylinders are popped without me noticing

oh well first time try engine rebuild! wish me luck guys haha, lots of question to come.

any recommendations before I rip into it??

Before you go ripping the engine out/apart there are a few tests you should do.

I'm in Auckland too, let me know if you'd like me to come over and show you some of the basics etc. It's easier to explain using your engine as an example and you can ask me questions and so on. Looking back to when I first started playing around with cars the help I got from people who came over and showed me stuff was invaluable so I'm kind of trying to pass that on haha.

• Like 6