Kempy's Caravan restore/ rebuild

kempy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Dude,

A bit more of an update, seems to be turning a corner finally.

Stripped the badly corroded top panels out as usual there was a bit of corrosion to deal with on the frame but thankfully it was only superficial this time.

Top section treated and ready for some shiny bits.

2kroirfa.cyv.jpg

And here's the shiny bits all joined and ready to be trimmed to size, it seemed easier to join everything and make one long strip (7.2m), matching the joint spacings on the panels below.

Actually it was a bit of a 'mare trying to get them dead straight without a decent straight edge, so some fishing braid came to the rescue as guides.

bazg2ify.2dd.jpg

• Like 3

Shit this is coming along sweet! What are the plans for the inside? Will you keep it all 70's stock with formica tops etc or change it with more modern finishes? Its cool which ever way you go that you can rewire it all freshly and add in modern features/future proof it. A clean slate eh!

• Like 1

I know... I keep thinking it would look mint all polished up, but it would be an absolute pain in the damn near killed 'em to get it like that and keep it looking good, so white it stays.

For the outside detail think I'm going to replace the original brown stripe with a gloss black one and also gloss black the awning/ edge aluminium strips as well, not 100% but I saw a little lillput caravan done that way at the RV show today and I thought it looked sharp, not 100% decided though.(felt like I was the youngest person there by a long way)

The thinking at the moment is to keep it fairly original inside but with modern conveniences.

ie. New Fridge freezer, solar panels on roof, LED lighting, pressurised water system, gas hot water etc... I'd like it to be self sufficient if possible energy wise (excluding the gas)

Getting married next weekend so I'll have to shelve the projects for a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just for comparison, I grabbed one of these too see what they are like,

323439214.jpg

Bright!, it's like having a small floodlight on the ceiling.

Decided to go down another route as it was a bit over the top and I don't like the idea of an upside-down cigarette ash tray on the ceiling.

Ended up grabbing a bunch of these with white surrounds, I can switch them off separately to the wall switch if it's too bright.

Frilight%20Nova%20Downlighter%2036SMD%20

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress over the Easter break, Chris came up and we chopped the old draw bar off and replaced it with something a bit more substantial, while also making it a bit longer so I could get 2 gas bottles on mounted up front.

Chopping off the old one was a dog of a task, took far longer than we expected as it was welded on top and bottom and anywhere else they could get at.

cjtjtw44.vhw.jpg

• Like 1

New step in place, was a tight fit but we didn't have to chop the plug off the power lead.

4xfewgyi.ges.jpg

First part of the new draw bar on, part of the old one for comparison.

z3ylghxy.lvc.jpg

Glad I made the decision to replace rather than try to repair after seeing inside the old one, didn't seem to look that bad when it was still in one piece.

cuk3d1bf.tb4.jpg

Huge thanks to Chris taking time away from his busy schedule when he had so much waiting to do back home, appreciate it man.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...