Kempy's Caravan restore/ rebuild

kempy

most people don't run shocks on duratorque suspension. if they're not hosing oil out and still seem to have some damping ability then they'll be totally fine :D

have towed the sisters single axle on duratorque suspension caravan.

I found that most of the bounce can be cancelled out by running the tyres at a decent pressure - if they're a bit soft it seems to amplify any bouncing tenfold 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

most people don't run shocks on duratorque suspension. if they're not hosing oil out and still seem to have some damping ability then they'll be totally fine :D

have towed the sisters single axle on duratorque suspension caravan.

I found that most of the bounce can be cancelled out by running the tyres at a decent pressure - if they're a bit soft it seems to amplify any bouncing tenfold

Further to this, when the old man bought his smaller boat, it had some shit-box tyres on it that were a big bag of dicks. The previous owner had pumped them up to standard car road tyre pressures but they were Ling Long Ping Pong Ning Nong light commercials that were supposed to run 70-80PSI so sorted that and the difference was hoojlee noticable.

Also, holy shit Kempy, I hadn't read what you'd written yet and just assumed you'd bought new shocks! Looking schmick!

• Like 3

Progress, apparently....

Kept finding lots of corrosion between the Aluminum and steel leaving lots of heavy pitting on the Aluminum surfaces, my choices were to bog it up with epoxies or to do it properly.

After finding a friendly sheet metal company in Warkworth I decided that I'm to to entirely remove the side facing in the photo and put new Aluminum on the entire surface, the opposite side has only 1 tiny issue to deal with and I'll deal with that at the same time.

pustmnl4.2gz.jpg

Only just found this ! Awesome work so far .

Yeah galvanic corrosion the alloy and steel is a bastard .

I've probably made all new sides and roofs for about 200 caravans over the last ten years as a coach builder . If I can recomend anything when puttin it back together use sikaflex products to seal everything . Lots of soapy water and turps to clean excess off . Any other questions just shout out . If I was closer if help out

• Like 1

Actually I do have the odd question, for a start what would you spray the galv steel and the back of the aluminium with prior to sticking them back together?  I wanted to create some kind of barrier.

Would etch primer on it's own be enough?

I've been treating the rust with brunox epoxy anti corrosion spray, seems to be good stuff.( sand blasting any flaky stuff off first )

http://www.brunox.com/website/productpages/Epoxy-Spray-en.html

322%20Epoxy%20400%20ml.png

I reckon house renovations are much easier than this.

Here's my check list which is a reminder for me but also someone might read it and have some good ideas.

Things still to get:

New window rubber seals

Outside shower

Solar Panels x2

Solar Panel mounting hardware

MMPT charge controller

LED Lighting

Wind down stabilisers

New Draw Bar

Carpet (squares I think?)

Cabling

replacement roof vent

New Bedding squabs

Curtains

a freaking miracle

Things I already have:

Gas heater for hot water (need a flu kit)

12v Water pump

200AH Batteries

2000w invertor

12v Fridge/freezer

Paint and stuff

New Wheel Bearings

New polystyrene insulation

New Caravan interior ply

Things I already have:

Gas heater for hot water (need a flu kit)

12v Water pump

200AH Batteries

2000w invertor

12v Fridge/freezer

Paint and stuff

New Wheel Bearings

New polystyrene insulation

New Caravan interior ply

Ive seen a few with the califont mounted in a box over the drawbar, keeps the gas run short and no need to make another potential leak in the roof

• Like 2

Good idea that and I'll use it, it'll save space inside and avoid having to buy ducting to exhaust it outside.

Opening up a new can of worms every day. The bottom corners are all stuffed so im replacing them all one by one, one to go!

The step seemed a bit bouncy and the door a bit loose, found out why when I removed the panelling, nothing but rust so that's another job to the list.

Will post picks tomorrow

• Like 1

More of a hand really.

OK here's the progress from a couple of days work

I decided that after finding more and more corrosion around the bottom of the caravan that any patch up attempts would only end in tears and look bad, so I'm ripping into it, literally

Left hand side work starts

vhhg1him.iv5.jpg

Some of the bits remaining from the corners

qd0p25bh.umv.jpg

The matching panels after years of sitting on a beach section without regular washing etc..

i5kex1m1.jfl.jpg

A bit more detail on the process

Front Right Hand corner before any work

qs4svndb.r5r.jpg

The white powdery coating is Aluminum oxide, up to 5mm thick, lots of steel missing...

Another shot of the same place

nnjp45pu.t32.jpg

Sand Blasted and replacement bottom rail going in, san blasted parts treated with a couple of coats of Brunox, great stuff for this you can literally watch it creeping into the corners so it needs a couple of coats and it leaves an epoxy coating, top coat of Cold Galv, just as a barrier.

eqjhrmll.mov.jpg