My drillpress is giving me shocks!

artyone

Oh and if your claim about having a high "surface resistance" was even possible then it would have the opposite effect to what you describe.

The voltage is a constant so the higher the resistance means the bigger the load. So if you got a shock the current would be higher and you even deader. Voltage doesnt mean shit, the current is what kills you

• Like 3

Other way man lower resistance = more current drawn. Either way it doesn't matter you only need a milli amp across your heart to kill you.

Oh and if your claim about having a high "surface resistance" was even possible then it would have the opposite effect to what you describe.

The voltage is a constant so the higher the resistance means the bigger the load. So if you got a shock the current would be higher and you even deader. Voltage doesnt mean shit, the current is what kills you

• Like 1

How close are you to other properties? if one of your neighbours has a fault in their wiring you could potentially be the fault path when you put your hand on the Drill (thats if its earthed) either way drill sounds dodge dont use it or at the very least dont drill in bare feet...........

Other way man lower resistance = more current drawn. Either way it doesn't matter you only need a milli amp across your heart to kill you.

Being an instrument tech for last 4 years has ruined my electrical knowledge :-D  still if his so called high surface resistance is the best earth conductor its going to be a bit more than a tickle

• Like 1

There are two safety features on your drill that protect you from being electrocuted.

The first is the insulation on the wires, which is obviously only partly working. The second is the earth connection, which I hope you've fixed.

If #1 fails completely, your leathery hand won't insulate you, it will just clamp you with all your strength to your drill press until your neighbors come to complain about the smell.

Those things you plug into power points to check the wiring aren't rcds, just socket testers.

An rcd runs the phase and neutral wire through a small coil. Normally the electricity runs both ways through the coil and the magnetic field is cancelled. If some or all of the electricity ends up going through you to earth, a current is generated in the coil just like your transformer/light bulb trick. The rcd detects this current and cuts the power so you don't fry.

I don't want to sound like a lecturing nanny, but rcds are so cheap and effective that nobody should be without them, especially working alone in a workshop. [/rant]

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is a while back now but it seemed to be the extension cord, that shared the drill cord socket, which had a molded female socket on the end which rattled slightly so I took it off and there was a tiny stone in there so I replaced the socket and problem solved.