Alex and Hannahs bushblock shinanigans. Look at my deck..

yoeddynz

Ahhhh bugger. Weather looks good for Monday but the grunty ute we were going to borrow is now down the coast as as its tree surgeon owner clears up fallen trees.

We might well just give it a crack with the Hiace. Might try it out tomorrow for a spin. Really Im just paranoid and the mighty Hiace should be OK (if I sit on 50kph..) The thing is heaps lighter than a car trailer with a car.  Anyways- we have got heaps done. More evenings, inc tonight, spent with head torches. Bloody winter hours. Yesterday we went out to the land and man did it tip it down. Seriously the most rain I have seen out here in ages.  The Motueka river was almost top of the stop banks. In between the heavier rain where we hibernated in the van, drank coffee or ate sandwiches, we sorted out and cut all the roofing iron to size. Heaps left- enough for a wood shed and the veranda. Sweet.  We also cleared the second short entrance way making it wide enough to bring the cabin in. Will have to tie back some of the natives that we certainly dont want to chop.

20140418_104851_zps3019febf.jpg

We got back late afternoon and cut more battening plus a large peice of Rimu for the main bed support. I then put in the last insulation for the bed area. We aim to clad the area around the bed first with a load of that thin pine we got from the garage door place. At least this way we will have a cosy bed while we work out what we want to clad the other walls with.

Today we put most of the other battens on the outside. They pull into the interior frame work and it pulls the lot up really stiff making the walls feel so solid for what is really quite thin plywood. Then we cut a big hole out of the back and carefully made a frame work and solid fitting door. We want it to blend in and not be to obvious, keeping the lines neat. Its going to be a storage area behind the sofa, which will be sort of under the bed. We can put the gas bottle, garden tools or other bits and bobs out of the way. with out having to cart them inside.

A big hole..

20140419_152342_zpsa6c81946.jpg

Kevin doing the inspection..

20140419_183749_zps0a0ee343.jpg

The outside of the all finished..

20140419_183834_zps1bd57537.jpg

Tomorrows jobs include putting the lock in the main door, window frame work, get trailer light board working on hiace, sanding the pine cladding. I hope the rain stays away.

• Like 3

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers guys. Wish we could have got it up to the next terrace. Oh well. Kick up the bum- we have been putting off getting some hardstanding down. Our farmer neighbour has his own marble quarry and a 12 tonne digger etc. Will get him over soon and get a proper surface down. Probably do the driveway too so next time yowser visits he wont get stuck. There has been a huge amount of rain here but we want to be able to cope with that in the future.

Yeah crane idea!  but nah- I want a lovely big hardstanding pad. Apparently crushed marble works well and sets down hard. I think the marble for parliment house came from around the corner.  useless factoid number 1.

This weekend plans are to fit the windows in and make a bed frame. I also want to slaughter those willows and the hawthorns nearby. Not liking trees that drop leaves and look all manky in winter. spoil the view. Chainsaw fun.

• Like 1

definitely keep the updates coming. 

also, you guys are doing awesomely with clearing out the unwanted stuff. awesome work! 

on the topic of the cabin: I am insanely jealous but also delighted for you guys with how awesomely you've done. 

That said, I can't say I'm surprised how lush it's turning out. You guys are consistently awesome!

• Like 3

Awww shucks Cam. You make me blush. As always the offer of cups of tea etc are always there. When its a bit more sorted you must come over and stay a weekend. I shall ply you with beer in return for blackberry and gorse removal.

Yeah we are stoked with how quickly its clearing. When we very first looked at the land around end of last winter/spring it was soooo overgrown and really put us off. Then we found the track up to the ridge and saw the view up there. That sold it to us. Plus we got it at an awesome price and the seller is really cool.

When we get the bottom area sorted and get a big shed up we can move out. Hopefully before the start of summer. Once we are out there we both really want to build another larger cabin or housetruck for up on the ridge. Its so awesome up there. Great all day sun, amazing views, you cant see any houses or evidence of humans, heaps of birdsong. Its just so lush up there and only about a 10 minute walk up to there. Will make an awesome mtb/walking track through the bush/tree ferns/kanuka groves with a sweet enough gradient that a granny could ride her bike up there.

A view from the ridge...

20131214_185620.jpg

• Like 8

shower sounds great.

was hoping to be left a hilly patch up the back of the farm, like this.

But its gone and been sold, and now they are doing exactly what i was going to do.....

ahhwell

be careful, someone is going to try kill you, so they can become you :badgrin: