Damz' HB Cosmo Discussion

damz721

It has a warrant sticker till sept n rego runs out this week, hey that's okay it's good to learn things about your car especially with new ones, it looks to have been done really well so I don't think cert will be a big issue just some $$

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you take it for cert I would do a good look around the car to see how the "swap" was done. Whether it was just running gear or whether it was a cut and shut/chassis swap.

actually yea do that ^. check what the chassis prefix is on the firewall/data plate. the shell could be a 929, with that plate being original to the shell but it has 'rotary turbo' stickers down the side of it, unless one of the previous owners had those stickers made then it could be a cosmo that's been crashed, repaired and is rocking 929 plates to avoid a repair cert.

* this is all speculation. have a rummage sometime to see whats happened. 

I see your in Nelson/Blenheim area, If you do end up getting cert, Barry Dowler at the Motueka testing station is a good guy to go through.

Like Slacker Sam said you would want to get in-touch with the guy who sold it too you to cough up for the cert costs ect if it turns out to be dodgy

My grandfather used to have a gun metal grey turbo cosmo with red interior when I was a kid. It could be started with a screw driver and we all thought it was hideous and "square looking". Granddad himself used to call it "ä heap of shit". Sometimes you wish you could go back in time and give your former self a smack for being so ignorant. I remember after he died (2001) we put it on the trade and exchange and a couple of lads from the Waitaks picked it up for $1700 without the number plates. Anyone know what happened to granddad's cosmo? I hope its still alive and getting a good thrashing like it deserves.

Barry did the cert on my viva and is a top bloke. He will make sure it's safe.

Just don't turn up with a flat peak, trouser belt hanging at knee level, or shorts and long black socks with jandals on. Make sure you speak normal English. Not text talk.

And don't put anything bigger than 15" wheels on this! :-)

But yeah as sam says- I'd be asking the seller what up?

• Like 3

Hey mate I have a slight problem with the Cosmo, I have found it is not certified for the rotary conversion as I believed it was factory turbo and legal, I can't get insurance or a warrant with it being un certified, what's the go? I brought it in good faith thinking it was legal

Looking forward to hearing from you, cheers Damian

This is what I emailed the previous owner not sure if I worded It right but touch wood he's not a wanker, awaiting reply will post when he does

that's interesting, I have had no issue having insurance or warrants since I have owned it.

You should not have any problems with it like I had, it just depends on who you are dealing with. Im not sure what you would want to do, but again that fact never surfaced for me and I had owned it for a year.4 hours ago · 

that was his reply. whats the best i can do from here ?