Car club orienteering/trials/thingys/amazing race/gumball rally suggestion

When i was a wee tacker (Just after cars came in any color as long as it was black) I used to go with my Aunty and cuzzies to the Hawkes Bay Car Club where we would compete in a fun trials/orienteering (not sure what it is actually called so I have named it thus so) event where all the cars would be given a set of directions to follow then sent on there merry way ( In a timed, staggered start)  and decipher the clues along the way. These directions could send you to a group of shops which is where you had to figure out the price of a book in a window to gain Negitive time points ( If you couldnt solve it then time penalty was added on) Then you would carry on to the next "checkpoint" where something else had to be spotted/found.

It was an awesome fun day for the family and used to go for about an hour and half of driving around Napier searching for clues and getting lost and bickering and laughing and then afterwards there would be tea and scones back at the clubrooms where we would jeer the winners (unless it was us that won) and congratulate the silly answers that were put down sometimes.

I don't know if anything like this has been done round here as an event or part of one. I'm just thinking after our meet at Otaki that this could be a good way of people getting out in their cars and cruising with a purpose and enjoying themselves. You could start something like this at 10am on a Sunday Morning, then have a BBQ on the Beach at 12 (not Otaki beach tho ewww) with a few quiet ones with maybe a few 2nd hand prizes and choccy fish for the winners and losers......

What does everyone think?

We have done similar mystery runs/scavenger hunts before and they have been great fun but we haven't organised one since last August.  A fair bit of work goes into organising them so it's not the sort of thing we do too often.  

It might be time to have another go though.  Maybe make it an annual thing?

poker run at Hawkes Boes is pretty much this....and is awesome but yeh, I imagine it takes a fair bit of organising.

If I remeber il bring it up at the June meet and see if people enjoyed the last one and if theyare keen for another (i wasnt there) Also Im sure KK has some thoughts on if it is worth doing or not (from an organisng/pain in the ass point of view)

Thanks for the input guys. I would be keen th organise and run one in kapiti which could be a good inbetween spot between welly and palmy. Could be used for a end of year bash'/xmas type deal but wouldn't want to step on peoples toes by overriding someone elses event.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys. I would be keen th organise and run one in kapiti which could be a good inbetween spot between welly and palmy. Could be used for a end of year bash'/xmas type deal but wouldn't want to step on peoples toes by overriding someone elses event.

Have a word to your area Reps who are Beaver and Alltorque. You met Roger in the green Buick last weekend.

Sounds fun though if you have some great ideas.