The Oldschool (Modern Classic) W650

Duke Blackwood

Now before anyone starts, I have read the entire “ABOUT TO ASK WHAT IS CLASSED AS OLDSCHOOL? READ THIS FIRST!!” thread. I know some people class ‘Oldschool-ness’ by year, others by chrome levels and others by a year minus ‘Rangi-ness’ calculation. My new bike is Oldschool inspired, Oldschool styled and features Oldschool technology. With this in mind I think it qualifies as Oldschool enough to be mentioned on the forum. I don’t think anyone will argue because EVERYONE loves W650’s and you’re all such a friendly bunch J

DSCF6837_zps48461923.jpg

So here’s my new air cooled, carbureted, bevel driven cam, parallel twin. I think I’ll leave it standard for a long time but I would like to remove the clutter (Risers, pack racks, mirrors, windshield) and open the pipes. I would love to do something like the Deus Blue Swingbob but this bike’s so clean I’d be an asshole to modify it too much.

DSCF6838_zps741a7ec7.jpg

Possible

deus-ex-machina-bobs-w650.jpg

This is the bike I traded for it, it was a good deal.

DSCF1677_zpsb158ce46.jpg

• Like 3

iduno they are just so sweet to ride standard that chopping seems like iduno...maybe a waste of time and kind of going backwards. I don't like any of those heus deus x machinia w650 bikes really. I went to the factory in Sydney. Coolest bikes they had were a pair of standard t500 suzukis lol. The w650 is an awesome commuter but also sweet for open road trips. I reckon just subtle changes. maybe paint and shiney bolt on bits. new bars and loud exhaust. stuff like that. I met a dude with a matt black one and his name is tom. cool story bro. Also rode one on the pacific highway thing in NSW. went to blue mountains etc as well. choice bike. We borrowed it off my uncles mate who has this little motorbike workshop. He used to race isle of man and shit but that's a different story. But anyway he really liked the w650 and he was like a superbike racer

edit: i went to that deus shop like 5 years ago so maybe they make cooler stuff now. that blue one you put a pic up of is lush looking

I reckon bolt on mods as well, you can make it look fuckin sweet with a bit of paint, lower bars, less clutter and maybe some white exhaust wrap.

Save the grinding discs for the GB and CM.

That CM is going to see alot of grinding btw  :badgrin:

• Like 1

Boys, you are ALL right haha I'm gonna keep frame dimensions and those delightful air filter covers. All I plan to do is get some new mufflers (very open, I dunno what style, maybe dunstalls?) a second seat with a bubble tail, lower bars, diff mirrors, remove clutter MAYBE paint.

It needs changing a little, the guy I got it off lived in a rest home, legitimately. He was getting rid of it because it upset his hip! The silly old coot must have been 69+ and when I offered him a test ride on the Shadow he goes "I don't need to test ride bikes, I'm in the Ulysses club and my bro in law is sergeant at arms for the headhunters so if there are any issues I'll just get my buddies to sort it out"

At the time I laughed it off like "huh, this silly old cunt thinks he's all 'sons of anarchy" but in hindsight I should have told him to go choke on a cock, threatening me with gang violence?! Me! Duke Blackwood!

Anyway if I've still got it in 50,000ks... It'll get cut up then haha

When i say chop out i dont mean Get the gas axe out and hardtail it.

I mean remove all the unnessasary shit. Replace the items you need like seats.bars.lights with smaller items. Hide other parts and generally clean things up.

Dunstan pipes will look good on this too! Such a classic muffler

Needs injection and a turbo. LOL

But seriously it's sweet I would roll it just the way it is and still be in full PINE.

Your possible pic is sweet to but I'm not sure about keeping the front disc, I can see a twin leading shoe with slots between the cooling fins on the front like the old race Norton's ran.

I know this is a strange question but is W650 a one up one down piston arrangement (the Honda CB350 was like this) or the more normal both pistons moving up and down together?