engine building 101 reading material required

Ned

So for my 7k to beat some 4ages, I'm gonna need to build up a fairly serious motor.

I had a quick Google but was unsuccessful in finding what I was after.

Anyone know of some "engine building 101" videos/write ups (with pictures) that explain all the basics and terminology etc?

I essentially know nothing and want to learn what I can before starting so when Joe bloggs engine builder spouts shit out at me, I can understand him instead of just agreeing and not getting what I want.

I mean things as basic as what advantages/disadvantages bigger valves make, what raising/lowering the compression really does and how to decide what you want, what porting and polishing really accomplishes etc etc.

I know about all these things, I just don't know what it all really entails in the real world etc.

Cheers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First inject it

http://oldschool.co....jection-thread/

Then add ITB's

http://oldschool.co....dies-itbs-tech/

Big valves may help

http://oldschool.co....ersized-valves/

But I can't find the cam or exhaust threads at the moment with a quick search. They are out there though (on this forum).

And have the engine rebuilt fresh with a port clean up (don't polish) and a bump up in compression according to what the engine builder recommends after seeing the combustion chamber.

edit: I should really put up the twincam head thread and show you why you shouldn't bother with a 7k and should just go to something twincam atleast, but meh.. I know there's no point trying to change the mind of a crazy dutch man.

• Like 2

I know a 7K isn't a good motor to start with, but i like them and want to see what i can get out of one etc.

If i wanted cheap reliable power, i would put a 2ZZ/Beams in but i like the look of the 7K and want to see where it takes me.

Cheers for the links :)

did you really read about 2zz head on K series, or you just want me to swoon over some beards?

Theres a 4A head on a k series somewhere....

Anyway, enough spam, this isnt about 7Ks or ZZ Top, this thread is about a place to find decent information for people like me who know SFA about enine building etc

You want to add boost at some point aye? When you build the motor make sure you open the ring gaps, otherwise you will get scored bores and broken ring lands.

Yes i do. Why is that? this thread isnt about knowing what to do, it's about learning why to do things certain ways etc... so if you can explain why, or provide a link with write up then that would be ace

Most of this stuff is hard to learn. You need to read some books and yarn to people in the industry. A lot of what you'll read is related to old american motors. Modern (if you could call a 7k that) Jappa motors can get away with tighter clearances and generally come out of the factory in a more 'blueprinted' (i hate that term) state. Find some threads where others document their 7k builds and see what parts and techniques they have used to get an idea of common practices for your specific motor.

We can help you with specifics but the knowledgeable people here on OS have been reading, learning and experimenting for years - the knowledge can't be passed on quickly. Everything in a motor is interrelated which makes life tough. You want to increase your clearances because it's a race motor? Cool, but make sure you increase oil delivery too. etc etc etc.

Start with the basics so you don't come across as an idiot. Find someone you can trust to do the work on your motor and build up a rapport with them. Ask lots of questions as to why they're suggesting x, y or z. Don't just waltz in somewhere and be like 'hey you, make my motor beat 4ages' because you're not going to get anywhere.

Yeah, spin some sh*t to the engine builder about classic race series and needing to stay with original series of engine or some such.

The most time I've spent talking to engine builders or fabricators over the years has been convincing them why I'm wanting to work a SOHC/Carbed/Vauxhall/Opel/Vectra, so I imagine you'll face similar with a 7K.

• Like 1

Cheers Brad,

And cheers Cam, you pretty much re-wording my post lol. (or what i meant by the first post anywway)

This is exactly why i made this thread, so i could get helpful links to reading material to get started on my own journey of reading, learning and experimenting. I understand i wont know everything, or even most things any time soon, but i want/need to start reading up on at least the basics so when mr engine builder explains how or why he's doing something, i can follow him and not look like an idiot haha

Yeah, ive been in tough with him a number of times, but talking to him wont give me the basic information i should know.

I'm starting to think people are miss-understanding what i wanted from this thread....

I'm not sure you grasp quite how big of a topic engine tuning is. You could have a 10 page thread on any specific part of an engine, and the problem is that somethings work in spite of a certain modification so there is a lot of misinformation surrounding building high performance motors, as xyz may work for one joker but be completely rubbish for another.

Is there any specific topic you want to talk about and we can probably give you the quick and dirty answers that you seek.

• Like 1