datto_610's C31 Laurel Hardtop Sedan

kyteler

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/35422-datto-610s-c31-laurel-pillarless-sedan/

Hah!

This is a nice car, I had a wee look over it when I was at Graeme's picking up the Y31 Gloria wagon that my sister bought. I said to him at the time that whenever he was next down in Invercargill I have one of those alloys sitting around that he was welcome to, I guess now that you've got it, I will extend that to you instead.

Did you check out how many miles were on their C32? That gets some serious use.

Good, good people.

Thanks guys! Yeah Graeme is a good bloke is rather unfortunate that the car crapped out before it made it home but all is well now! That would be awesome man thanks, didn't check out the milage of the C32 but do remember someone asking about it when the 31 was on trademe and he mentioned it had like 400,000kms plus on it and still going strong. I probably wont bother with getting the LPG hooked up again I'm not sure what's involved etc so your welcome to it Valiant

Hey bro,

Just something to think about, if it's been leaking through the seal for a while rust may have started to form around your windscreen. I'm not a glazier so I'm unsure if the screen has to be removed to fix that up, but if it does and there is rust it has to be fixed up before the screen can go back in. When I was doing panelbeating work Smith and Smith would send cars to us almost every week with some form of work needing to be done around the windscreen so a screen can be re-installed.

Just something to consider with regard to how long it will take/how much it will cost.

Sorry for down buzzing. Haha

Chur as car though! :D

Yeah did think about that, yesterday was the first time it rained while I had it. The old guy I got it off said he always had it covered up but you never know what's lurking under there until you get the screen out. Cheers man, I'm still pretty stoked with it just the realities of buying an old car I guess.

• 5 months later...

Took the C31 for it's first wof whilst in my ownership. Only failed on front brake pads so pretty chuffed with that. Getting some in overnight through BNT so all going to plan they'll be in tomorrow. Was having a look at the carb the other night and noticed some slack in the choke cable adjusted that up a bit also noticed that the vac advance hose going to the carb had split and was no longer attached :shock:  have no idea how long it had been like that for possibly the whole time I've had it? It was running super rich when I got it still is really but got some new vac hose and all appears to be well  :-D   

Was good to know if I needed anything done on this as the Datsun club is heading to Nelson and Blenheim for queens birthday weekend and brakes are the last thing you want to fail while driving on hills! Wof inspector noted that it had some rust repairs done in it's lifetime said it look all gravy to him but someone else might not think so. Also have some superficial rust coming through on one of the sills so will get sorted at some stage too.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Ok so I have bought a new daily...... There is a lot of maintenance that I want to get stuck into but still wanted something I can get to work in. New daily is '93 Daihatsu Charade Detomaso. 1.6L 5spd with factory recaro's and nardi wheel! Got it mega cheap so will save $$ on gas and have a little rice rocket to hoon round in.

20140404_163654_zpsae3xpwkh.jpg

So the list of things I want to do goes like this:

*Fix leaky front screen and repair any rust that could be lurking underneath

*Alloy Radiator will be much cheaper than a re-core as mine is pooozed! Would be nice to drive up hills again without risk of BHG

*5spd conversion, pretty much have all the bits bar new clutch kit and new master and slave cylinders!

*Disc brake conversion, have all the parts may just need new pads and some rubber hoses also have matching brake master cyl

*Install spare R30 struts as my front discs are also poozed!'

*MAX SLAM! I've had this for about a year and half and I think it's time for some looooow. Will use the R30 struts for slammage as to retain factory spec orgi's

*Some sweet oldschool 14's would be lovely too

*Still debating on what to do with the engine, wanting to keep it L series but which direction?? Already doing a turbo build so thinking either supercharged, ITB's, triples or twin su's

*Headers and exahust but will need to work out what I'm doing engine wise first

The windscreen is priority at the moment hopefully can find a replacement C31 screen   :?

• 1 month later...
Had the post Datsun club Queens birthday weekend cruise motivation buzz this today! Bart came over last night and rarked me up into removing the trim round the windscreen in prep for the windscreen removal. That was a piece of cake a bit too easy I think.... So this afternoon with a bit of help from Kirsty got the windscreen out yay! Although I now need a new one :( Cracked pretty quick was trying to be careful but oh well s*hit happens! Was quite a mission actually that glue stuff doesn't come off easy. It's not too rusty behind the screen will have to give it a go over with a wire wheel and re asses. New screen it is! Hopefully I can track one down.... If so I'll talk to the dude from Southern Autoglass. Did a pretty good job of Karl's Mk2 Cortina wags screen I hear.

Also started putting together my new garden shed with Kirsty's help. Nothing better than a chick who knows how to use a drill! Once I get the roof on I'll put all my spare bits and bobs in it and make more room in the garage to do work on the 180B. Manual conversion coming up soon.

20140602_155341_zpsbtahqukv.jpg

20140602_155350_zps9jfpx2cw.jpg

20140602_155359_zpsjtoik1mk.jpg

20140602_155410_zps0ewvb0k3.jpg

20140602_155418_zps6bhtjqku.jpg

20140602_155426_zps6lp6ou0d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You have done that arse about face son.

Back the cable adjuster right off as much as you can, adjust the shoes up till they rub on the drums, pump the pedal about 6-8 times, adjust the rear shoes till they rub, pump brake pedal, adjust until just rubbing and carry on in that cycle until you don't get any more out of the adjuster before it rubs.

Then adjust the cable adjuster till the slack has gone. Pull the handbrake up a few times, then drive around the block to get the shoes centralized and then adjust the shoes up until they are just rubbing again.

Finally adjust the cable as much as you can without the drag on the brakes getting no than a poofteenth more than the adjusted shoes were dragging.

Should be good now. (I'm assuming the hydraulics are in good condition and you cleaned the brake shoes when you had the drums off)

Thanks KK all sorted!! Took the drums off again and cleaned everything with brakleen wheel cylnder's look not that old. Did a test run up and down the drive and locks the rear wheels now instead of not doing anything yay. So the only other thing my wof man mentioned last time was the spare wheel not being strapped down... it's one of those spares that stands up along the rear quarter instead of flat in the boot. It's got a cover that clips over it with a dome but not quite enough apparently. Might just get some cheap narrow width strops from bunnings and tie them to the mountings that are there for something to secure the wheel in place. Once rear window seals are done wof time!

• Like 1