Seat belt webbing replacement

vivaspeed

So one last thing to get my WOF (well actually a new thing) - replacement of seatbelts due to hard/old/faded webbing.

They have cool old clasps etc which I want to retain but would involve getting webbing and having them all sewn up by a proper place. Rang a few seat belt places and they only seemed interested in selling me a boring replacement belt which meets all the relevant NZS standards.

Is it legit to get the webbing replaced in the existing hardware? If so any recommendations?

img0806hb.jpg

img0807i.jpg

There was a mobile belt guy who used to replace the webbing in retracting belts - not sure if its possible with static belts.Can't remember the name of the place but Mobile Seatbelt Services rings a bell. Ask Shaz - I think her work deals with him all the time.

Something tell me its these guys..

9737191_L.png

These guys here were really good also back in the day also.. Don't know what they are like now..9608828_L.png

I can't remember them off the top of my head without my handy work speed dial list in front of me. I think it's New Zealand Vehicle Compliance.

Google is being unhelpful, so I clearly have their name wrong. I'll double check for you in the morning.

It's definitely worth having a chat with them though. They've dealt with some pretty weird jobs from us before.

Mr Vivaspeed, try calling 5701110. I can't guarantee they will help you but it's worth a shot.

I deal with these guys pretty frequently and they're usually really helpful.

Disclaimer: Trade customers normally get treated better than retail ones I find, so maybe your experience will differ from mine.

Thanks Shaz, very helpful people but couldn't do what I want. They do know of a company in Oz that can remanufacture.

Even the helpful people I rang this morning said they used to be able to, but not anymore...

Rookie - I think you might be right, looking at the configuration I may be able to thread a new belt through the old hardware. Will see how the new belts are configured. The short "stalk" section is the problem, that's where the cool clasp is and that part is usually stiched on new belts.

All else fails, I will just get some new belts and be all modern-spec.

Is the short bit fucked? because it was only the long bit on mine that was, but even then it wouldn't be hard to rethread it through. I did chop the doubled up bit on the end off and got the misses to sew it buck up, obviously that's not totally kosha but it has nothing to do with the integrity of the belt.

Back in the day Autoliv used to manufacture belts for NZ assemmbled Nissans, so later on once they failed WOF's for worn webbing or that we used to send them to them to be re-webbed. Not sure if they still can do it (I was dealing with them 10+ years ago), but they might be worth a shot? http://www.zenbu.co.nz/entry/1101731-autoliv-new-zealand-ltd http://www.autoliv.com/ProductsAndInnovations/PassiveSafetySystems/Pages/Seatbelts/default.aspx

I'm in the same boat but different ocean. Hang on. I mean other way round....

I have the same belts (but in red) as you have Geoff and love the clasps. But get tired of the static belts. I want to get some retractables, take them apart, rebuild them with red webbing while retaining my clasps.

I'm confidant enough to do the sewing myself but will they be spotted as a fraud? We have a big pile of belts at work, as many seat conversions are a common job here. I could nick the nz standard labels from some and sew them in.....