Dave's Skyline sedan (HR32).

threetwoskyline

Hey all,

Bought this from Invergiggle over three years ago now, and it's been my faithful daily since.

How faithful? It's just about to tick over 250,000km, and 40,000km are my doing. It's been good to me.

My intentions were and still are to go drifting with it, and I have a little, but I'd really like to have a syakoutan-ish car.

I guess I'm aiming for a cross of the two.

Base spec, it's pretty good. RB20DE, manual, factory VLSD, non-HICAS and most importantly, it has the optional rear windscreen wiper!

Previous owner had installed some go-fast guages, some Fusions and some "cool mags". Upon further inspection, the spare

wheel was a 14" steelie which, judging by the wear, seems to have served as what the kids call a "skid rim", so the car's past life is

a little questionable, but I'd like to think I've rescued it from being continually treated as such.

Modifications, I've spent most of my time and money undoing the boy-racer type stuff. The Fusions and the guages went, as did the

wheels. I picked up some 15" Bridgestone meshies, with a full set of centrecaps, for $230. The guy also gave me a 15" steelie with a

newish Bridgestone tyre, so I now have a spare I can actually use. I also bought a leather Nardi wheel, which is nice to drive with.

That got it to about where it is in this pic:

P1010168_zps90a0d3b4.jpg

Yes, you're absoloubly right! It is too tall!

To remedy this, I saved enough to buy some Tein Type HA coilovers, and I installed them last week.

Got all excited and drove it straight away, and it rode like a pogo stick. I jokingly said it felt like the dampers

were set to zero. Got home, and they were actually set to zero. I played with the set-up for a while, and now

it rides as well as when it was factory, apart from the random drops in the road are more felt. Oh well.

Went up to Karitane the other day and snapped these:

P1010222_zps20e06d7f.jpg

P1010221_zpsa9fa5f12.jpg

P1010223_zps47d21749.jpg

The Nardi:

P1010173_zpscba736ae.jpg

And a trendy shot when my Ranger stickers got here:

P1010181_zps791736b5.jpg

Next up I'm planning on either wider wheels or spacers and new tyres, and then wind the coilovers down some more.

Maybe later on a GT-R front bumper, and some smaller things like some box speakers for the parcel shelf.

Aside from that I'll just keep driving it to school ( Soon to be Polytechnic, hopefully. That, or a job.) and maintaining it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice HR32 Dave. It's nice to see another level headed Skyline owner and especially one that hasn't been butchered by some "fully sick Rota Gridz G!".

I've also got a HR32 as a daily.

It's 20de 230,000 kms going strong, brought it at 180,000. Hicas model, automatic gearbox but has an RB20det gearbox in place of the de.

The few things that have been done is it's lowered on Jamex Lows, 17" TSW VX1 (Oh yeee bringing back the 90's!), aftermarket stereo and removed spoiler.

Such a stirdy car to drive, comfortable and economical (depending how it's driven of course)

Heres a picture of it parked up next my mate Jonos Skunk2 certified Civic (gooooorgus car!) at one of my meets that we organise

20t1mph.jpg

Are you going to stick with the N/A or move up to a turbo one day?

that's a pretty sweet ride to get to school in! you are doing well.

what are fusions? speakers?

Thanks, I've had a few comments from classmates so I'm not doing bad. Finished with school, so I'll be driving it to and from the big wide world now.

Oh, yeah. Fusions are speakers. The kind of early-00's show-car things you can get at Repco. I think you can understand why they're gone now!

Nice HR32 Dave. It's nice to see another level headed Skyline owner and especially one that hasn't been butchered by some "fully sick Rota Gridz G!".

I've also got a HR32 as a daily.

It's 20de 230,000 kms going strong, brought it at 180,000. Hicas model, automatic gearbox but has an RB20det gearbox in place of the de.

The few things that have been done is it's lowered on Jamex Lows, 17" TSW VX1 (Oh yeee bringing back the 90's!), aftermarket stereo and removed spoiler.

Such a stirdy car to drive, comfortable and economical (depending how it's driven of course)

Heres a picture of it parked up next my mate Jonos Skunk2 certified Civic (gooooorgus car!) at one of my meets that we organise

[pic]

Are you going to stick with the N/A or move up to a turbo one day?

Hey, cheers. Yeah, hopefully we'll end up reclaiming 32's from the boy-racer crowd someday!

Yours looks good, I've been unsure about de-spoilering them but yours does it really well.

Your mates EG looks pretty serious, too. Where are you based?

I'll most likely stay N/A, and see how far it can go. I'm just enjoying the RB20DE as is right now, but if I was hunting for

more power I'd like to build the RB20 fairly seriously before thinking about a bigger RB. I like how it revs pretty high, and

how it really starts pushing when you get high up in the rev range, so I'll stick with it a while longer, for sure.

Yeah I wasn't a fan at first, but it's grown on me. I wouldn't mind putting a nice little duckbill spoiler on there tho.

Yeah the EG is one of the nicest Honda's i've ever seen. I don't know the exact specs but it's verrry well modified. He uses it as a daily driver too! Crazy cat. I'm based in the lower north island, we have our meets on the last Wednesday of every month. If you're ever around these ways you should come along. This the facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/ABunchOfGuysWithCars

Fusion ain't made in NZ. They are pieces of crap.

pretty sure they were made in NZ but i forget what the rep said, NZ company none the less, got a bad rep when the company first started and the speakers were rebadged cheap units, but now are full scratch build units and are very nice, well up there with the same budget big brands but cheaper because less middle men.

either way, if your feeling the modern (last 5 yearsish) units are crap then theyve been installed by a monkey :D

but yeah, never seen them as a 'show car thing' just thought that was weird.

offfff tooppppic

Are the wheels 3 piece?

Used to have this mint C33 laurel for a daily.

[pic]

Got stolen by a 14 yr old and written on into a power pole.

I'm not sure. Any way to check without removing tyres?

That's super lame about your C33, man. That was probably the cleanest showroom-spec one I've ever seen.

On a side note, curious to know why you think fusion speakers are a show car thing?

on one side, they are just speakers, like any one brand, and on the other side, they are the only ones made in NZ!

is it cause they are green or something?

Fusion ain't made in NZ. They are pieces of crap.

all the same shit to most people.

if it were me and I didn't like the green I'd bust out the black rattle can

pretty sure they were made in NZ but i forget what the rep said, NZ company none the less, got a bad rep when the company first started and the speakers were rebadged cheap units, but now are full scratch build units and are very nice, well up there with the same budget big brands but cheaper because less middle men.

either way, if your feeling the modern (last 5 yearsish) units are crap then theyve been installed by a monkey :D

but yeah, never seen them as a 'show car thing' just thought that was weird.

offfff tooppppic

lolwat

Well, you know how older showcars with big sound systems had a million speakers, all set into a big plastic case that was meant to look like a big tribal design or a spider or whatever?

Just the covers on them reminded me of that kind of thing. I dunno, whatever.

Pretty sure i've seen this down at logan park? I live on Dundas Street. Looks good though

Yeah, that's me. I'll be going down there for the last time on the 30th.

So you're the guy on the corner? I saw you chillin' in the boot of the Triumph the other week.

Oh, car things!

P1010225.jpg

That happened, and I'm buying some 'brick' headlights and a new electric window switch, so I can see

at night and whoever's riding shotgun can feel the summer breeze or window ride or something.

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet man,

Sounds like you know what's what.

Have a 32 sedan too, they're a really cool shape IMO

Mines the 'hard to get'(Jeff Ash joke) gtr like grey/charcoal factory 20e auto, so non hicas etc

&now has genuine GTR front panels and a RB20det& box. (Lotta room under those front guards!)

but swapping to 25t motor and stock turbo(should go to steel wheel or gt2871) due to it running,

I think the the s#!tty DSR430 turbo's front seal went...

Keen for responsive power and torque rather than big, frankly often unuseable power like my 34 coupe..

Genuine plastic M-spec skirts and rear caps?

Keeping them on?

Hard to find them, always lol/wonder how lower spec ones end up with them on..

And funy about rear wiper, a lot of people will go the great lengths to remove all trace of them!

Interior tidy? Vents?, dash not lifting between lifting centre and left ones?

Your stereo/climate control/shiter surround trim unbroken?

I'm a sucker for a tidy int /(whole vehicle) trying to get mine mint (need that trim!)

Also want a set of the non projector style 'N1' headlights like you've got, (but I'd need N1 GTR ones w/ headlight grill tabs:-(

are the fog lights arrangement different between the two?

If you haven't already, check out DSD32.wordpress

Kiwi dude with a nice coupe, pretty cool blog.

His headlights are quite ingeneous....

http://dsd32.wordpress.com/2009/12/18/legline/

Hey, cheers.

Sounds like you found a nice example to start on, and it also sounds like

you're embarking on a serious build! Your 34 sounds interesting too. "Big, unusable power"?

Figures like "one-thousand" come to mind. You got threads for either?

Yeah, previous owner had some connection to a Nissan dealer and took them off a GTS-t.

Definetly keeping them for now, until I come up with something else to do exterior-wise.

Hmm, tidy? Well, it's all there. Dash is lifting between the vents, you can see it a little in the

Nardi picture. Stereo - shifter surround ( I can only dream of being high-society enough to have

climate control ) is broken down the bottom. Again, previous owner. Did a totally rad sound system,

and it seems he did the install and wiring by himself. I'll be repairing / replacing all the damaged

things when I find myself a regular source of income.

I read a little about non-projectors for GTR's when I was looking into them for mine. Seems like a bit

of a mission! I don't know to be honest, but I wouldn't see why they would be.

Haha, I never would've figured a Legnum was the solution! They look really good though.

Cheers for the link, pretty cool indeed.