DIY Fuel injection thread.

yoeddynz

Ugh yeah i pulled hilux engine out when i was down at HPA, not sure if it was a 1kd? Cant remember.

Was running a prototype diesel ECU from motec. With too much boost towing the race car back to HQ from highlands it split a piston. The oil coming tgrough the split kept combusting and nanged the engine at max revs haha.

Intake looked amazingly disgusting.

• Like 3

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

If I were to use ECU controlled ignition, would I get away with just putting the spark through the distributor and assuming that my programmed advance curve will fall within the tolerance of the distributor's curve?

I.e. how much misalignment between the rotor and the posts is required before you will get a missfire?

Leaving vac and weights on will let the distributor approximate the curve more closely than if it was just a locked out distributor.

This way I can just run the single coil and keep essentially factory looking system, apart from an ugly trigger wheel on crankshaft.

Sorry I forgot they had those tiny rotor ends, so you could lock it and find a wider ended rotor that fits, or leave it as is but that will limit your range of advance to within the mechanisms of the dizzy. Probably not a big issue tbh but as per your original post, you don't want the spark falling off the end. Your question makes a lot more sense now that I've had a look at a mech 5M dizzy haha

I think it might be alright with keeping current rotor on it as with the vacuum advance it goes right up past 45 degrees advance without missing, where the vacuum only moves the pickup for the signal.

What sort of maximum advance are you guys running with your efi systems?

I was running a pretty safe 40 advance on V6.

If it were me I'd remove your dizzy and run a coil pack. You're so close, but not quite there, to having a really efficient setup. I Dont think anyone will cry if they lift your bonnet and cant see an ugly dizzy sitting there. You can always put it all back to factory if you needed.

I'm guessing you need something in the hole to drive the oil pump though? Or does the dizzy drive off the oil pump? I know nothing about these engines.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

I was running a pretty safe 40 advance on V6.

If it were me I'd remove your dizzy and run a coil pack. You're so close, but not quite there, to having a really efficient setup. I Dont think anyone will cry if they lift your bonnet and cant see an ugly dizzy sitting there. You can always put it all back to factory if you needed.

I'm guessing you need something in the hole to drive the oil pump though? Or does the dizzy drive off the oil pump? I know nothing about these engines.

Hey Alex. Hope your well mate. Could you help me with a question? Iv always wondered with crank triggers how do you dial the crank reluctor and sensor in spot on? To run a coil pack set up or injectors for that matter.

I understand the concept but lets assume that nothing in the world is perfect and you engineer a bracket that makes the sensor sit 1/2 a degree out from TDC. 

To get things dead on is there a calabration or a offset in the software to correct this ? 

Hope that makes sense. 

cheers Scott.