Matt's hairdresser spec Mazda of lame.

mjrstar

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So.. back on the previous page there was an issue with coolant temps, thankfully that seems to be all good after the previous drive it must have burped a bunch if air as when it cooled down it sucked about 150ml of coolant back from the header tank.

Also did a couple of 4th gear runs at 16 psi and now with a few degrees of timing in the map that my mate built up during our last work session..

Virtual dyno suggests 265 wheel kw but i think that is probably on the high side for that boost level it should be more like 220 I would suspect-although that compressor wheel is a bit of an unknown.

Also I think I have tracked down the high pitched squealy vacuum leak to possibly a perished injector seat seal.

Err pic for thread, as you can see we are in need of some rollcage padding shortly.

20150817_124355.png_zpse9qrdpim.jpeg

• Like 4

Boom,

Also because I am not a mathematical genius the first cut i did was with the compound slide angle set to 7 and a bit degrees. It looked screwy until i figured i needed to set a smidge over 3.5 degrees to the the total angle.. Duh.

20150818_214336.png_zpsp1plwbbq.jpeg

• Like 6

Just been having a quick read back through your thread... I remember you previously talking about virtual dyno, but I think it was back when I was looking at OBD2 stuff not link data.

Sweeeeeeet jebus I cant wait to get my car going again and do some nerding with virtual dyno! I've just loaded some previous log files, pretty awesome!

Yeah if your repeatability is good you can tune up timing and eyeball the torque gain/loss.

Pretty sure virtual dunno is legit for basic obd2 logs too?

Was thinking about doing some logging on my ute but have major dramas doing WOT runs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Knuckle progress, thanks to fletch here on old-school i have the loan of a tapered reamer so put it to work...

I settled on 98rpm for the reaming speed.

20150905_143857_zps26pyroc4.jpg

Then machined the outside taper and parted it off at the correct thickness.

20150905_145150_zpsr7rncm3q.jpg

Knuckles now look like this, they have been on a bit of a diet..

20150905_151229_zps3bnrk2ub.jpg

• Like 6

Bump steer and camber measurements with the Toyota knuckles installed. It looks like the top balljoint really needs to come in from underneath to help the camber curve and a drop on the steering arm balljoint to reduce the bump steer. There is also scope to lift the steering rack 5 mm which will help.

20150911_135036_zpsyiuobf3k.jpg

20150911_135018_zpshfgq6xjw.jpg

• Like 5

Decided to remove the temptation of poking fingers down into the driveshaft.

Used the freebie shifter surround that came withthe flares from the states, a bit of aluminum and the civic shifter boot to cobble this together..

Rubbish photo but you get the idea.

20150912_162937_zps4bhwkgup.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Been pretty quiet on the MX5 front for a number of reasons...

I got sick of looking around for a 2nd hand window winder mech, the main issue being that 95% of mx5's seem to be electric, anyway turns out new genuine was not totally stupid price so boom..

20151202_104124_zpsnssrzuy9.jpg

also got the sheet of 3mm abrasion resistant polycarb home in one piece thankfully because that shit ain't cheap.

20151211_134523_zpssrrgrsth.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good progress on one of the remaining hurdles, upper arm mods to allow the knuckles to bolt up with something resembling a decent camber curve....

How?

Chop end off upper arm.

20160212_111946_zpsbt78ndaa.jpg

Notch them out to fit the new bearing carriers, with a bit of added castor. Weld in the carriers.

20160212_125409_zpsjavhnwhf.jpg

Flip them over, weld in the gusset

20160212_133615_zpsam3cufbg.jpg

Give them a dose of 2 pot black, fit urethane bushes and yhe spherical bearings then install.

20160212_181903_zpsuvl7i43h.jpg

Some of you will recall the plan to fit the GTO 4 pots, but this was going to be very tough with the chosen wheel offset so we going to try the MA70 calipers and see how it performs. (My first brake upgrade which isn't a 4 pot option)

So i got a pair off a mate of a mate in rotorua, and stripped them down for a clean and paint.

20160214_200652_zpsvoqseuqp.jpg

We still need to finalise the bearing spacer sizing but it seems to be coming together pretty well..

We did some other stuff not photographed like reassembling the hubs with new seals and a fresh dose of grease.

• Like 4

Front has ended up abit too low (if thats is possible) -as expected with the toyota hubs.. geometry looks ok but have not done a full measure yet.

Might need strut top spacers or maybe new bottom shock mounts to raise it up.

20160222_052700_zpsx39nloy6.jpg

Brake calipers are a tight fit (depending on wheel weight position). Just waiting on the discs from aussie and made to order carbotech pads from USA.

20160222_052725_zpsktybcnlr.jpg

• Like 1