Chevette motor seize

chelseakennedy

This afternoon I went to turn on my vauxhall chevette and it didn't do anything, my dad had a look and the motor is seized apparently. It's weird cos it was running fine when I was driving it an hour earlier. After the drive I moved it into the garage to vaccuum, moved it out and it was fine. Then not long after it won't turn on. Does anyone have a clue what might have happened? and how much/difficult it would be to fix..

It's a tricky thing to attempt to diagnose over the internet.

What's it doing, exactly?

Power/Ignition lights are they coming on when you turn the key?

If they are, and you turn the key to start, what happens?

If it just clicks and nothing or just nothing, it could be either the battery, the alternator or the starter motor.

I would guess one of these things over the engine seizing.

They have a retarded external starter solenoid that fucks out all the time, chances are it's that.

Ask your dad to stick a screw driver across the terminals on the starter motor to see if it turns over. If it sparks awesomely and does nothing else, it is ceased. If it doesn't spark at all, check the battery/wiring.

This afternoon I went to turn on my vauxhall chevette and it didn't do anything
Lol. Tara?

Without some very definite descriptions of what it is doing - you are really asking a very broad question which is extremely difficult to answer over the internet.

However if your dad has diagnosed it correctly then an engine swap would be $5-800ish if you did it yourself depending on how much else you do while you are in there and how much a donor engine costs you. If you were paying someone to pull the engine out and rebuild the engine then you wouldn't get much change from $2500.

When you try and turn it over do the lights dim even tho the engine is doing nothing?

Whats the voltage on the battery?

Have you tried a jumper lead or push starting?

Also like was said, remove spark plugs and try and start (for a quick moment) if it turns over it aint seized.

If it doesnt turn over by battery try turning it by hand (with plugs out) if it turns it is not siezed.

is it in gear?

if you still don't have any joy, I've just picked up a parts wagon with a reconditioned 1256 I don't need (he said its recond, but I havnt started it, and it's been sitting for possibly 10+ years). Flick me an offer if you're interested, it is still in the car and will need to be pulled out