Carbureted SR20de.

TTONEFOURTWO

Hi guys.

I recently picked up an S14 F/L SR20de motor off a friend for my corona.

I've had a change of heart over the Ca18det turbo setup that I've almost completed and decided

to run it NA.

I've read about people using Minuki 44 side drafts and an MSD ignition.

Has anyone on here done or know much about putting side drafts on an SR20de and could give some advise?

I've seen similar setups like this one on speedhunters: http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/06/carbed-s15/

No spam please. Thanks.

In theory ITB's would be the way to go, just been seeing a few drift cars in japan with carbs got me thinking. It looks so clean and is really raw sounding.

Will also be easier with less wiring/expensive ecu tuning. Just really wanted to know if anyone in NZ has done this before and if its a dumb idea or not.

Its just something different...

What kind of bike carbs would you recommend? Are 40mm big enough for the motor?

I was thinking about the manifold, would the easiest way to do it be to get the flanges cut out of alloy and then use tube to make the runners?

This.

There are a couple of threads on the forum for converting to bike carbs that go through what you need. Sounds like you have the right idea though.

Biggest issue will be getting spark because you'll probably have to ditch the ecu, as it won't be seeing all the necessary inputs without the intake.

Just been reading up about Yamaha R1 carbs and they seem like the go. Seem fairly cheap to buy/tune (buy jets etc).

And manifold for them shouldn't be to hard to make.

Will definitely be ditching the ecu. Would something like this MSD unit be tunable enough to run on the factory distributor?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 116060.htm

Thanks for all the help!

R1 carbs would be my flavor of choice (they will end up on my car one day too) and i also inteded on either getting a flange cut and welding a small bit of pipe for each intake and then hosing it up,

or even cutting a factory manifold in half and hosing the carbs up to the stock flange. i dont see any issue with this if you do it smooth and tidily.