Petes Rx7 series 3

mazlyf

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great man, looked at buying it myself How bad is the rust? The guy selling it seemed very sketchy about it.

Its actually not too bad, None at all in panels its just on the underside from them salting the roads in england :( 2 spots on underside near trailing arms and one spot near the steering knuckle on passenger side (which I think is the worst one) will post pics up of before and after once I choose a suitable repairer

awesome car man, are you planning to do any modifications once you sort the rust out?

Im real 50/50 on this - Id love to lower it a bit and maybe put some nice wheels etc on it Bridgeport etc BUT I think that a car is only original once! :) So Im going to TRY my best to just tidy it more and more and keep it original - I dont like the spoiler thou I think they are called spoilers for a reason, they spoil cars.... But again its orig.... what to do!!!

looks tidy as for 110,000 miles. fix whatever it is thats making the left rear wheel look funny and leave the rest alone. or else :D

you might want to strip the whole underside to inspect for rust, theres a series 2 on retro rides and it was all rusted around the trailing arm mounts, wheel well, floors etc.

looks tidy as for 110,000 miles. fix whatever it is thats making the left rear wheel look funny and leave the rest alone. or else :D

you might want to strip the whole underside to inspect for rust, theres a series 2 on retro rides and it was all rusted around the trailing arm mounts, wheel well, floors etc.

The whole underneath has just been sandblasted and rust protected ready for inspection, I havnt noticed anything with left rear wheel either, Drives perfectly stright and no noises or creaks.... Will investagate further thou...

Nice score, good luck with it!

will be very interested to see how you get on with installing/certing the rear seatbelts. kinda wish I hadn't converted my Series 3 to two-seater, but at the end of the day it was the only route to getting it properly legal :doubt:

I dont like the spoiler thou I think they are called spoilers for a reason, they spoil cars....

If you don't want it, I'll happily take it off your hands...

I'm in the same boat with regards to modifications - minimal, tasteful, and easily reversible if required. I keep bumping into more and more people who prefer standard Rx-7s over heavily modified ones, and with good reason if you consider how rare they are becoming.

will be very interested to see how you get on with installing/certing the rear seatbelts. kinda wish I hadn't converted my Series 3 to two-seater, but at the end of the day it was the only route to getting it properly legal :doubt:

I dont like the spoiler thou I think they are called spoilers for a reason, they spoil cars....

I'm in the same boat with regards to modifications - minimal, tasteful, and easily reversible if required. I keep bumping into more and more people who prefer standard Rx-7s over heavily modified ones, and with good reason if you consider how rare they are becoming.

Yeah i looked at rear seat and there are no seatbelts installed and doesnt look like there ever has been.... Will let VTNZ tell me if I have to install lap belts or something, As for spoiler even if i remove it ill prob just use those rubber bung things so i could put it back on it is growing on me thou, but it is also ugly Lol

Yeah i looked at rear seat and there are no seatbelts installed and doesnt look like there ever has been.... Will let VTNZ tell me if I have to install lap belts or something, As for spoiler even if i remove it ill prob just use those rubber bung things so i could put it back on it is growing on me thou, but it is also ugly Lol

Orion's didn't have any rear belts and was the issue why he had to spend heaps getting US 2 seater stuff IIRC

Glad to hear this car doesn't have much rust. I lived in London for 10 years and there are a heap of stock 7's over there and I planned on bringing a couple back with me but never ever found one that wasn't rusted out in the floor/underneath. Salting the roads in winter just ruined them. Are you going to need a rust cert for the repairs that need doing? Again when I rang about this car they were a bit vague about the rust thing.

Anyway mate, it's a beautiful looking car and stock standard is the way to go too. Pretty sure I have some UK number plates in my garage too which would look sick when you display this (I'll go look through my number plate collection, they came off my old Ford Transit but no one will ever know..).

AND this car is red for the win.

Are you supposed to install rear belts if your car never had them now?

Im wondering this as well, My car has the slots in the rear seats for the belts to go throu I havnt yet removed the seat to see if bolt holes are there for it - Might go look now.....

if registered anywhere in the world after 1979 I believe so. Clint/cletus would be the man to ask.

As stated above, my SA22C had no rear belts when it came into NZ, was first registered in Japan in 1985 so the two options I was given were a) add new structural plates in the rear for 3-point shoulder belt anchorages (and get them signed off by an engineer, then LVV certed) and B) convert to two-seater using USDM parts.

i chose the latter option, mainly because I thought spending $3000 to install rear seatbelts in a car with one of the most useless rear seats ever, was a bit excessive/pointless