Wanted: Rattle gun and/or strong people

Llama

In what is becoming a common occurrence, I took my car apart and got stuck!

Currently I need to remove the dif pinion flange to get to the oil seal, however I'm having trouble moving the actual nut, so does anyone have a rattle gun I could pinch for a bit? Preferably electric since I don't have proper air compressor. Or if you think you're strong enough come have a crack.

C360_2012-09-11-20-15-33.jpg

(can people see this?)

Plate is bolted on to hold the flange from rotating, as the handbrake isn't up to the task. There isn't any more room for a longer cheater bar, sprayed with penetr8, and me and dad pulling on opposites wasn't enough to budge it. I am really against putting the stupid thing back together and driving to a shop just for one nut... Last option is to brace the plate against the wall with some timber, and drive a wedge between the two, but I think that's a bit extreme...

Can pay in beer/panna cotta/cookies.

As above. Ratchets are not designed for "breaking" tight bolts and a pipe on a ratchet will toast it pretty quick. Thats the job of a power bar. Get a drift (mild steel bar) and a hammer. Give the head of the bolt a good blow with the drift and hammer then have another go.

There's always a way. Previous methods of mine have included using a jack on a power bar, using a ratchet tie down on a perpendicular anchor point. Have you tried using heat?

Jack on power bar sounds good, will give that a try. Does heat work on just tight stuff? I thought it was just for seized things (this has been leaking oil like a good british car, so I don't think it's seized).

Will give it a crack tomorrow with a jack on a bar. Quite tight though and can't brace it against the battery boxes though.

oh SP you.

Chur all.

please don't put a hammer anywhere near it. Good way to fuck everything surrounding the nut including yourself. Use strong arm bar as stated, use a jack handle if you need more leverage. Get heaps of height and make sure it's secure as stated, it will come off.

If it is really stuck which I doubt, put strong arm bar horizontal to floor in direction of rotation, drop onto ground and get someone to help you push it backwards

please don't put a hammer anywhere near it. Good way to fuck everything surrounding the nut including yourself.

totally agree with this one , amount of times ive done some pretty good damage to my wrists / thumb/ hip / kneecaps because the hammer missed the mark is amazing :lol: .

i was recommend something similar to what requim did as long as there is a gap of about 3 inches between the power bar and that flat plate that hold the flage itll wind off piece of piss

As above. Ratchets are not designed for "breaking" tight bolts and a pipe on a ratchet will toast it pretty quick. Thats the job of a power bar. Get a drift (mild steel bar) and a hammer. Give the head of the bolt a good blow with the drift and hammer then have another go.

This!

DO NOT use a ratchet for something like that shit can fail (that doesn't look like a particularly solid one to start with) and hand goes super hard into something/you go flying/bit explode/danger will robinson

The other one would be to get a hold of a 3/4 drive socket and power bar - with really tight stuff like this a 1/2 power bar with a cheater will bend/have spring in it and take away a significant amoutn of your power/impact or even break completely/shear off (have done this before). As 3/4 wont be bending and will give you a much better chance.

Feeling a bit lingling spec since I had a breaker bar sitting there all along and I just didn't know what it was... but I have success! Plate double braced against the wall with timber and a jack on the breaker bar. Car got about 5cm off the stands and then I almost shat myself when it broke, it was LOUD :oops:

Thanks all