Vivaspeed's No.2 Viva - discussion

vivaspeed

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^

when i did the engine thats in my white val now, the block was decked 30 thou, so the intake gaskets didnt fit any more- the fix is to machine the intake manifold. instead of doing that, i found the manifold fitted fine without a gasket, so i used that grey threebond goo around the coolant and exhaust crossover ports, and blue hylomar around the inlet ports (hylomar is petrol resistant)

over a year now, no problems

• Like 5

Ive seen some big ass gaps filled with some of these new sealants.

Bit just to be sure (cos we dont want any vacuum leaks or running problems with your car)

It may be best of you pack the manifold carefully in a box and mail it to me for mine....

Hahahaha.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite curious to see how much difference this engine makes to general daily driving among modern traffic, especially when hills are involved. I fear that my wagon is going to be a bit of a holdup on our local hills particularly if loaded up with bikes/camping gear etc.

Hannah got a flash little  'Blydenstein Power' sticker from Bill Blydenstein when she had him do some work on the head from her Victor FD wag. Its kicking about somewhere and we wanted to post up a photo but cant find it.

• Like 2

I would be happy with 70 on the DCD.

The head is stock apart from a skim but having more compression and a better cam should lift the power somewhat.

I would think with a sidedraught it will get more but at the sacrifice of some drivability. Perhaps.

Oldschool dyno day needed. Anyone cracking triple digits gets sent home...

• Like 2

Oh yeah regarding hills. I shot up the Nelson side of those big hills to Blenheim holding 80-90 right up the backside of slow tourist traffic in my 1159cc no worries and out to 100+ when I got a chance. Had wound lots of advance into it and didn't look at the temp gauge! :o

• Like 1

We have a retarded looooong relatively steep hill here and had to go up it a few times on a few cruises.

Unfortunately i was in the putt-putt... (1159cc single brl down draft with single exhaust manifold.)

Amazingly tho i was able to do 100kph up the hill... and then some daw 115 at one point.

But it would only do so in 3rd. Would easily redline out in 3rd yet in 4th it would struggle and id drop below 80kph before id knock it back and get moving again.

Didn't want to hold everyone up on a freeway lol.

So i gave up and left it in 3rd and sat on 100kph. Doubt the little engine liked it much hahaha.

• Like 1