4m head onto 7mgte block

Mattt

I'm after a factory 4m crown engine and ENGINE MOUNTS to trade for my current 186 engine and engine mounts. My car has declaration and motor was rebuilt 100,000kms age. Motor is in good condition apart from oil leaks. I have plans involving the 4m head and a 7mgte block so am looking for a trade. Will happily swap all parts over on spot with help from trader. This motor is ideal for the crowns, good torque and still firly economical for age.

New engine to be a good runner or cash my way to be provided depending on condition.

My car is manual and donor car would need to be manual or appropriate parts supplied with donor.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, from what I have seen in the past with holden powered crowns, is that they tend to cut the chassis mounts off the chassis and weld new ones on.

So ideally you will need to make new ones, or cut some off an originally chassis.

I dont really have anything to help you any more as I have sold all my stuff

Duh, ofcourse they are. :oops:

Cutting and welding won't be a problem. I didn't even think to look just assumed there would be a removable cross member. No worries al, cheers anyway. I'm going to keep the crown obviously. Would love your century motor but money restraints limit me to this idea for now.

Also for anyone interested I'm running a w55 gearbox so the bell housing attached is for a w series.

are you sure you have a W55? most of the older manuals had a W-50, which are different.

the early w-50 boxes have 4 bolts in a squeare formation to hold the bell housing to the Box, where as W-55's have 7 or whatever.

but Splines are generally the same for drive shaft

I don't think a 4M head fits a 7M block. I would confirm, but someone stole my 4M head...

This could pose a problem.......

I figure I'm going to have to do some mill work to modify the water jackets to line up but was hoping it would bolt up sweet.

Yeah that doesn't worry me. I work for a large engineering company so that sort of thing I should be able to make work with the help of a few designers and some cnc machines ;)

The plan I had was to take the 4m head, mount it to the 7mgte block, modify the water jackets as required, rebuild the head with different springs and a semi race cam, get the crank or crank pulley modified to accept the chain drive crank gear. Have the block modified to accept the tensioner as required or make an adaptor and run a sc12 super charger with dual su carbs.

Why? Looks period, would sound epic, fun engineering project should make ok hp figures with good torque figures and its different. Plus if I can get a 4m and a cracked head or bhg 7m for cheap the whole project should come in at roughly 2k max.

what is the advantage of a 4m head on a 7m block?

is it easier to remove the head for replacing head gaskets?

I'm assuming that's sarcasim?

If the research I've done is correct the reason the 7ms blow head gaskets is related to the head design not the block design.