Old Man Southern's Potential Tour of the North (April 2013)

kyteler

Alright guys, you live there, I've only been there several times. If you were to suggest a route to go for a drive on and places to visit, what would they be?

I've booked some time off for around the OS Nationals, a week prior, the week of and a week after. This should allow me a decent amount of fuck about time.

Suggestions and people who would like to say hello during this moment/maybe someone needs a lift to Nationals, happy to oblidge et cetera.

aaaaaaaaaaaand, GO!

Driving the fuck out of it. Unless someone in the Wellington region would lend me their car? Then I guess I could do that. Really though I think driving is the best option, I want to have a vehicle of my own at Nationals, whatever it be.

So something like this?

http://goo.gl/maps/G3I0T

I fixed the northland bit, as I know the roads up there. Continuing on SH12 through the Wairoa Forest is epic and you can go see Tāne Mahuta (the giant Kauri tree) if that's your bag. Also Kai Iwi lakes North of Dargaville, which are nice but probably nothing on SI lakes. Only problem is the Rawene ferry trip, which is hit or miss. You might want to flag that bit and carry on up/down SH12 through Kaikohe.

If you can divert your travels up the East Coast North of Whangarei where possible theres some nice beaches there too, but again it adds quite a bit of time (heading out to Oakura for instance).

SH16 out west auckland is better than SH1 too, takes longer, but worth doing.

Also, you're doing SH3 down the West Coast but you might want to consider doing SH43 - the Forgotten World Highway. I've not done it yet but it has been mentioned on here numerous times in these sorts of threads and might be better than SH3 if you want to explore? SH3 is cool though, from memory.

Alternate link

edit: Also, don't underestimate the travelling distances up in the far North. It doesn't look far, but for various reasons it can take a long time to travel anywhere. Kaitaia is a fair hike from Whangarei.

So something like this?

http://goo.gl/maps/G3I0T

don't go through hamilton, it sucks.

turn off SH1 at Ngaruawahia and head down 39 from there. its a cool road, also there is a old gas station/garage that had some old cars for sale on that road last time i was there. there was a starion and some other old things. worth a look.

Included Hamilton on the list for the popping in to see people side of it. Though I guess I'll see most of the Hamiltonians at Nationals so it's probably not worth the risk of driving there.