Bike carbs on Vaux 1256

zep

Righto, so I've got a 1256 that I'm rebuilding/doing a bit of head work/cam/not a whole lot.

I am interested in putting bike carbs on this thing, however, they have siamesed inlet ports, i.e. 1 port for 2 cylinders, like an upside down Y: ⅄⅄

These engines often use twin SUs, which if I'm right are similar to some bike carbs. So, I should be able to use two bike carbs similar to the size of the SUs (1.5"). I have seen one Mini (1275) with dual bike carbs and it appeared to work well.

Question is how do I size these? I think the Mini guy used carbs from some Yamaha 850 V-Twin, and made up a linkage. IS i9t best to use V-Twin carbs, or get a bank of 4 and try cut them down?

Thanks guys.

1256 would be cool with an IDA - just saying

IIRC 1256 heads are a downport head?

You are correct. Unfortunately I read that and IDA will hit the bonnet.

D - I was thinking two big ones would be the best plan. Will look into the IDA,too, KK.

I think R80's are flat twins, so probably won't be the best. Getting the size right is one thing, a 1256 won't need too much and the standard carb has a throat about the size of your thumb, so really anything would run it. Ease of rejetting is the question I'd be asking. Just make sure the carbs you chose are easy to change the jets on, either drilling or buying some to the right size - you should be able to get it nearly right by searching the interweb to see what people are using on similar setups, mini's etc.

Problem with v or flat twin bike engines is that the carbs are independant so you'll need to muck around making linkages to have them opperate in unison. Ideally you want a single dual throat carb or multiples that run an inline engine. Even if you get 4 of them you could seperate them of cut them down to run a pair. I'd say little 32's off a 600 Honda or something would be plenty for a 1256. Honestly people will tell you that you need a pair of 45's or some crap but I really don't think that's the case.

a set of gs500 carbs, would work pretty well, mikuni cv carbs, easy to get jets for,

may be trx/tdm carbs, im thi8nking they possibly may be a bit large though,

ebay uk is the place to get em, and postage shouldn't be too bad, i got a set of cams(2) and carbs(4) out of the uk

for 30 quid postage,

sound expensive but they were only 40 quid to buy,

so saved myself about $400 if i got them out of nz second hand