What inserts fit kp61 starlets?

jtkp61

Hey, I am in the process of lowering my starlet on some cobra superlows.

I have been told AE86 and MR2 inserts work mint, I tried both front and rear mr2 inserts (aw11) and they were rattling round something wicked.

Any others ideas? or anyone in Chch shorten my shocks for me?

^^ What he said.

It sounds like your shocks need a spacer / locator to work in the KP housings. Are they too short for the strut housing? Your two options are to space the shock up or shorten the strut housing if they're too short. Sounds like they could do with a locator on the bottom to stop sideways movement too.

eww monroe, mk1 golf. ep71 starlet are others that will fit and are shorter. i run golf bilsteins in mine, they are very stiff. hmm i wouldn't think ae86 ones would work at all, as they run a bigger diameter tube.

3 options for running a shorter insert,

*run spacer at bottom. will only get drop in length from shock shaft length. but easy to make spacer

*run spacer in top. will be shorter than above. but need special spacer, and will only work on small shaft shocks not inverted type like bilstein. also you will have less shock travel

* shorten the strut tube. this is best option imo, long as you do it correctly.

but all depends on the shock you use, and how short you need to go..

If the vertical movement/play of the shock in the strut is pretty close then you can chuck in 50-100ml of oil into the strut housing and that will stop most rattles in there.

If there is a large amount of vertical play then the above posts apply.

I found the part numbers of the shocks i used to lower my bug (now marks bug eye)

Used Cobra Springs (dont have part numbers)

Front Shocks are Toyota KP60/61, Starlet-F shocks

Kayaba Industries Co Ltd

363038 (5B02)

These had to be shortened an inch or two

Rear Shocks are Toyota Tercel-R, TE70 Corolla-R shocks

Kayaba Industries Co Ltd

343036 (5D15)

These were a PERFECT fit with the prings. Kept them nice and captive and not under too much stress when jacked up

+1 for mk1 golf, I rock Boge inserts in mine from a Golf, however they're as yet untested.

Might actually go for a Bilstein once it's working again.

Any idea what the OD is of the shock and lenght? I think kp61 struts are the same OD as rx2 so might have same insert OD.