MX83 + 1UZ = Nice Daily?

boxxy

Hey,

Im a long time lurker, and I need some motovation to finish my MX83 so thought I would put my project up to see if it helps :lol:

I brought My Cressy end of 2010 when I was in Twizel and needed a cruiser to eat up the miles as my 4x4 was getting tiresome

Cressy2.jpg

Cressy3.jpg

Cressy4.jpg

He was pretty tidy, had a new headgasket and the 7mge was ticking along smoothly

It didnt take long to figure he (Ronald, the nickname given to him by a mate) needed more low :tongue:

I tried some Cobra superlows in the front, and some RT141 kings in the back and he sat a bit better.. but not enough. Standard s15 springs fixed the issue quite well.. 70mm chassis clearance and captive

cressie.jpg

Over the next few months I tydied up a few missing / broken bits of trim, found a nice half wood Momo that fitted with the age of the car and was happy... until the HOS 7m started to flash the oil light at idle after a long drive.. a few more months and a move to Wellington later the light got worse to the point it wouldnt go out below 3000 rpm with 20w50 in there :(

I pulled the 7m with the idea of chucking some bearings, a W5* and a CT26 on the side. got it stipped and found it needed quite a bit more work than i thought and added the $$$s together to a pretend sum that told me if I sold the m series flywheel and bell, I could end up with a 1uz in there mated to the w57 for not much more than a refresh and a low boost setup

bye7mg.jpg

I scored a W57 from a GA70 for next to nothing and it came the front half of the drive shaft, fork/bearing and a g series bell which alone payed for almost half the box

After pissing round a bit, i got and the tard and a few days later this was sitting in my shed

1uzfe.jpg

another day later it was doing this

th_11302011066.jpg

enough typing... more soon

Tim

As a serious question, which is going to come across dick-ish but i mean no disrespect, but why? It's (in my eyes) not an especially nice looking car and you can just buy an LS400 or something if you want a nice 1UZ cruiser for under 4K (my first one was $2700)?

Never owned an ls400 myself, but aren't they quite heavy even compared to an mx83? mx83+1uz+w57 with a few susp mods would be much more fun imo, and probably easier to convert to manual?

ls400s aren't exactly exciting in the looks department either, I'd have a gs300/aristo over one for sure

opinions etc, I think this will be sweet as fuck for a daily

As a serious question, which is going to come across dick-ish but i mean no disrespect, but why? It's (in my eyes) not an especially nice looking car and you can just buy an LS400 or something if you want a nice 1UZ cruiser for under 4K (my first one was $2700)?

I've always liked the X8 shape, so I figured I could kill a few birds with one stone - Ive always wanted to build something with a 1uz in it, I wanted something that I have a bit of fun with the possibility of having a go at a track day, yet still be comfortable and big enough to go away with, and as thegreatestben pointed out they are quite a bit lighter and more nimble than a Celsior

anyway... onto the build

After getting delivery of the mighty 1UZ and making it go, I trained the thoughts and $$s into making it stop and handle more adequatly than it should hopefully go

I got on the tard again and some Ba Falcon Disks, R33 Calipers and BC's made there way into the garage to become this

IMG_0022.jpg

unfortunatly the 15s no longer fitted, and due to the pretty weak +50 factory offset, most of the wheels I liked didnt fit so i settled on a set of fake LM's for the mean time.

I set too and bolted it all together, and am pretty happy with then end result, they fill the guards well and dont scream look at me

cres.jpg

IMG111.jpg

Next was sorting out how to mate the w57 and 1uz together, bearing in mind I want to daily this I settled on a bellhousing and cluctch/fly kit from the cartune company that has the heavier flywheel, 10" 1100kg cover and organic plate.. lost the pic so heres one I prepared earlier :D

clutch.jpg

Next step was some GX71 pedals which fitted mint, need to find a shorter master cylinder though :(

IMG130.jpg

after filtering through the crap on the American Cressy forums, I found that Excessive Manufacturing made a pair of off the shelf mounts so ordered a pair of these up and bolted them on as I am useless at fabricating stuff

IMG131.jpg

Im not sure about the compression post, but cert man was happy. They landed the day before I was off to 'strayla for a work trip so instead of packing i set to and got it in

IMG140.jpg

IMG142.jpg

and thats how it sits at the moment..

To get it finished I need to..

Find a smaller brake booster so i can get the motor back further, this will mean the mx83/ga70 mongrel prop shaft will work, there will be more clearance to the steering rack, and the shifter will be centred in the standard tunnel hole

Finish the wiring, which is the easiest part for me

Hook up fuel / water lines. I have EF fans on the factory rad which should be ok for now

Remote the oil filter so it doesnt hit the crossmember

Torque up the flywheel / clutch as I didnt have a Torque wrench when I got excited to get it in :rolleyes:

Sort up a clutch line

Sort some headers as the factory ones want to go where my steering column is.. factory Crown logs should work so I'm on the lookout for a set

Cert

Enjoy?

Yours is why I posted this up.. appears to be a little bit of love floating around here for them

na JZ screamer should be well fun :D

Fucking hello Tim.

Should have kept the AE85.

gday buddy... you forgot "and shoved the 1u in that instead :twisted:"

update.. MA70 LSD is now sitting on the shed floor

^ yea the hardtop, especially Mark 2 is allot better looking than the Cressida though, but hey this project is sweet good work

cheers fulla. I agree, the hard top is well sexyier, but the old guy down the road from me wasnt keen on letting his mk 2 go for what I paid for this :D

the only bit that appeals to me is the roof wing. If, and I stress IF I do anything to the outside it will be a roof wing and a HNR32 lip on the factory bumper

ala this

DSCF0400.jpg