Subaru Legacy, Shudder while turning

Seedy Al

Hey guys, Quick question.

I have a subaru legacy wagon here.

2.5 auto.

Am finding when turning medium to tight corners it feels like it has a decent shudder from the rear end.

I have checked the tyre sizes, and they are all the same size and profile, however all different brands.

I chucked it on the hoist, looks like Brand new Diff oil in the rear diff, Defferlently LSD oil.

Also chucked a use in the FWD hole in the engine bay to disengage the AWD, this seemed to make a decent bit of difference to how it drove.

So I guess the question is, what is the chance of the Rear diff being rooted, verses say something like the center diff etc?

Any help or experience on this would be wicked, as i havnt fucked round with these too much, but feel i have thought of the most ovious things (unless some how the different tyres are causing a problem....?)

From Napier with Love

Allan

The center 'diff' clutch packs tend to weld themselves together after a while of binding up - if inserting the FWD fuse improves it - its most likely a gummed up solenoid or nakkered speed sensor in the transmission causing the problem.

If your feeling brave - you can whip the tail housing off and give it all a clean up. If your not feeling brave - bang a new box in it - they are cheap.

The autos of that vintage dont have a center differential but instead rely on a duty solenoid feeding pressure to a multi plate wet clutch to drive the rear wheels. Putting in the FWD fuse puts full power to the solenoid. The channels that drain fluid away from the clutch packs get full of crap so over time - you start getting torque bind.

I remember this being a common fault on these things - something to do with a solenoid on the centre diff - I think I replaced one once before and it was a piece of cake.

It was such a common occurance IIRC that there should be something on the net about this.

Yeah first cause of failure is the solenoid not working or gummed up. Second failure if thats allowed to continue is the clutch packs weld together. Its known on the web as 'torque bind'. The UltimateSubaruMessageBoard is mostly made up of these threads.