Brennan's, ke70 Corolla, 3sge Beams powered.

Brennan

That fuel tank +150mm clearance is a funny one, I doubt a stock E30 (in my case) would even have that.

Good the cert list wasn't too onerous looking...

Yea was a funny one that I hadn't heard of before. 150mm doesn't sound very low but when you see it, it looks low. I was already looking at putting a plate under it.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not too much of a drama about the PCV - because if you look at the size of the hole in the valve, it's effing tiny... And it's got a valve in there to stop it from sucking too much air through. It also makes your engine a bit healthier by sucking out the crappy fumes etc while you are idling. So it's not a bad thing, just cunty to try and fit in some how.

You could probably get away with plumbing it into just one or two of your throttles perhaps. Easy way to get a rugged sounding idle hahaha.

Unless of course he's also saying that you need the other crankcase vent line connected to the intake too, in which case... aaahhh... yeah.

Dunno how that would work.

It's pretty awesome how much you've managed to get done on this car in this time frame, A++ would read thread again.

Cheers man. Yea Andy did recommend that I plumb it back into one of the trumpets. But I'm not sure either what I am going to do with the secondary one?

At least it was the only semi difficult thing wrong.

I am amazed there was not more.

Yea working PCV systems on a road car are very good things, trying to remember how the stock 20v setup works, just a chamber on the manifold that taps into each runner? probably be best to try run it to all runners, its just a controlled vacuum leak, should be able to tune it to idle just fine with it. So one of your rocker cover outlets go to the manifold behind the throttle plates through the PCV, the other is fine just sucking air through the catch can. They are only plumbed into the intake on a factory car so the air is metered (AFM/MAF cars) and filtered which isn't a issue here, catch can will do the filtering.

Sweet. Yes I can see it working now.

So you guys reckon that it would be an advantage to having a vacuum on the gasses to suck them though the engine? I was just going to disconnect it after cert and revert it back to how it is at the moment. But having second thoughts now.

I'd leave it on for sure.

When you're at full throttle, there are more gases in the crank case than vaccum in the intake, so the gas blows out the non PCV pipe into your catch tank.

When you're at idle, it sucks through the PCV line, and draws fresh air in through the other line from your catch tank.

So the non PCV line works to do two jobs at once, flows both ways.

I've got both lines hooked up to my intake, beams motor has a catch can built into the cam cover so I'm not convinced that excessive amounts of vapour etc makes it out anyway.

• Like 1

Thats pretty cool, i had not thought of that.

But since i do not have a catalytic converter in the exhaust system i dont see how this would be any benefit over just venting into the atmosphere? (emissions wise) 

For certification they would want it to go through the engine??

Or would that be no different either, and this whole "emissions" thing is relying on the engine still having a catalytic converter installed?????

• 4 weeks later...

Did you ever organise getting an LSD or Locker for the volvo diff?

If not and you want a cheap locker could always get a g80 out of a volvo 940. They are a bit shitty stock as they will only lock when one wheel spins faster than the other and then disengage if speed gets above about 60kph.

But the volvo guys do this mod http://www.turbobricks.com/mods.php?content=art0027 where you cut most of the weight off so it will stay engaged and locked well above 150kph. 

From the sounds they pretty much act open when driving slow but if you start spinning one wheel they start acting like a normal welded diff

Was aware of them, seem to be semi difficult to get a hold of.

That modification would turn them into a 2way clutch type lsd? or similar?

They seem to not make aftermarket lsd's for my ratio, just the higher ratio's.

did find this though, http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=2959&Product=AG_545016&Brand=Auburn_Gear_&ShowAA=True&Year=1986&Model=240&DriveType=Rear%20Diff%20-%20RWD&DiffId=119&Source=DiffWizard

Is a clutch type when open and locked when you flick the switch.

Will wait till winter or beyond before i look into them further.

Shouldn't be too hard to find. Most 940 and 960s should have one as well as turbo 700 series. I found one at pick a part but car was gone when I went back to grab it.

That ected looks awesome

That mod pretty much makes them into a locker that can still freewheel one wheel when turning at low speeds. And will also one wheel every now and again. Which is not as good as a proper locker but works out way cheaper if you can get one easily.

Can check of they have one by scraping the underseal off the passenger side axle and white sticker should say 1041 on it

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...