Oftensideways drift ke30 corolla

oftensideways

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Not sure about those steering arms man, surely a straight piece of steel is the optimal design for strength? Those look like they'll flex under load or snap.

Also, if you're going to be running in MSNZ events, there's a new rule around steering + suspension components:

(3) Repairs and/or Modifications: welding or heating

Any steering or suspension component subjected to

processes shall comply with the following:

(a) Welding shall be limited to the MIG or TIG inert gas process and may not be

altered in appearance in any way, and

(B) Any welded and/or heated components shall be certified by either:

(i) Non-destructive testing in compliance with AS/NZS 1554.1:2004 Standard

(Tables 6.1 or 6.2) by a current NDT Level 2 (including CBIP, ASNT,

AINDT) qualified technician, or

(ii) Under LVVTA certification for modified suspension and steering, and

© A test report verifying compliance with these requirements shall be presented

if/when requested by a Scrutineer.

you're quite right a straight arm will be stronger for sure, i'm unsure what i'm going to do at the moment.

as I see it there may be a little flex in them but I may gusset them to stop it and i can't see them failing except for in the event or a crash in which case things are likely to break or bend anyway. the part I have added in will not bend or break, its solid bar, and i'm more than confident of my welding so I think WORST case under high steering load the original part may flex and bend which will instantly throw out the steering alignment and you would assume damage has been done and pull in to pit.

I will do some testing tho to see how they work, if all else fails i will just convert it to steering rack.

I have seen the new rules for steering and suspension but am unsure of what the testing involves? i'm assuming non-destructive to be xray or something similar?

Yip, feedback makes a big difference when you're experimenting.

It'll be interesting to see how they go too - I'm wondering whether the steering feel will change or if it'll change the amount of bump steer you get through the sweep?

Keep the updates coming.

• 4 months later...

This car is sweet man. Love it.

Still holding out for a chance to crawl over it.

Will have to come find ya at 4 n Rotas.

Do you get all that plate cut or are you just real patient with a grinder/plasma?

Is this a full time gig for you or is your garage just well set up. /nopersonal haha

4 and rotas is the plan, got my car and my friends 20b altezza that i built for him to put in the show. nah no laser cutting or plasma here just alot of grinding dust up my nose! not a full time gig, but I am working on it to become that way (not just auto engineering stuff tho, do a fair bit of heavy stuff), it makes it easier for me that i have a good winter seasonal job to go to if the works not there. i've got a good selection of gear (saving for a lathe at the moment) but shed is only 8x5 and mostly dirt floor (concrete soon tho hopefully) i did have a pretty decent shed in the old house we rented.

• 4 months later...

i'm toying with the idea that when i refurb the rims to go black lips and Gold or sliver centres, that or just go the norm and polish the lips.

I really did like the car on all black wheels but i wonder if the polished look will grow on me

thoughts??

Just came across your thread. Coolest ke30 in NZ by far!! Polished lip with silver centres would look cool. Although it sounds a bit plain everyone is painting their rims all sorts of crazy colours these days which is getting a bit old. Simple colours and let the width and fitment be the stand out point. Just my two cents though its your car!

whats plastidip? i do like that photoshop above but i would go a lighter/brighter gold center than it has at the moment.

Just noticed, shit the car is dirty in that pic! thats fresh off the trailer from todd's Keto manji day.

I did think of getting the centers blasted back to raw alloy clear coating and lips a satin black. If the rear fitment matched the front it would make it that much better but it is a drift car so ive gota be realistic about the rims/tyres i run on the back